mtbr member
    Feb 2004

disc setup for manitou forks

hear that i will need an adapter and a larger diameter rotor for discs on manitou forks. have a minute fork and contemplating avid mechs or xtr. thanks!!

Do It Yourself
    Some companies like_Avid,_Hayes, Shimano_XT only use 74mm post mount calipers with adapters for use with International Standard (IS) frames and forks. For these, no adapter is required for Manitou_forks. In fact, you take the adapter off to use with_Manitou. Other companies like Magura, Hope_and Shimano_XTR have 74mm calipers are available as an option so again no adapter would be required.

The only time you must use an adapter is if you buy brakes with a fixed IS caliper. Then you would need to get the IS to post mount adapter. This adpater requires a 20mm larger rotor than the caliper was originally designed for. This typically only happens when you already have the brakes and switch forks from IS to Manitou_post mount.

If you happen to need the IS to PM adapter, I have one leftover from when I first switched to_Manitou. I've since upgraded the brakes with a PM caliper type and sold the IS brakes.
    Long Live Long Rides

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Flite
    hear that i will need an adapter and a larger diameter rotor for discs on manitou forks. have a minute fork and contemplating avid mechs or xtr. thanks!!
    If you want to run Avd or Hays on a Manitou, a special adapter is only required if you go larger than 160 (such as the adapter in the photo below, in use with a 185mm rotor).

There is a Post Mount adapter available for IS specific rotors (I believe last generation XT was one example that relied on this) where the use of a non-standard 170mm rotor is required.

In both cases, the adapters and the non-standard rotors are available for order through your LBS or from QBP sites such as aebike and hammerheadbikes.