Thread: Disc Rubbing

I'm A Pedalphile

Disc Rubbing

Ok, I've searched some other threads but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a Fox Float 100RLC, Chris King Iso-Disc front hub, and Hayes HFX Mag+ brakes.

My front brake is properly bled and feels great, but I get rubbing every now and then. I can adjust my caliper so that it doesn't rub, but when I'm riding, it rubs a little bit and sometimes the rubbing goes away and comes back.

I know there is an issue regarding using a Fox fork and Chris King hub, but that doesn't seem to be the problem for me, since I am able to adjust the caliper initially so that it doesn't rub. Does this seem correct or should I consider having the disc tabs faced?

My other guess is that one of the pads is sticking, so that when I use the brakes, it doesn't return all the way and continues to rub on the mildly untrue rotors. If I decide to clean the pistons, I know that I have to take out the pads and squeeze the lever to expose the pistons in the caliper. How far can I squeeze the pistons out before I risk popping them out and making a mess with DOT fluid?

I hope you guys can help me out, because this problem is really frustrating me.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9

I'm A Pedalphile
    No one has any suggestions?
    Bikes:
    Mountain: Santa Cruz Blur
    Road: Trek Madone 5.2 SL
    Commuter: Sette Reken 1x9

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlong
    ...but when I'm riding, it rubs a little bit and sometimes the rubbing goes away and comes back...
    Pretty normal. A bit of grit or water can be enough to get a little rub.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jonlong
    My front brake is properly bled and feels great, but I get rubbing every now and then. I can adjust my caliper so that it doesn't rub, but when I'm riding, it rubs a little bit and sometimes the rubbing goes away and comes back.
    I hope you guys can help me out, because this problem is really frustrating me.
    Thanks,
    Jon
    There are a lot of theories on what causes the sching-sching sound, but I think it's caused by the fork flexing. I recently changed my front rotor from a 8" to a 6" and eliminated 90% of the problem. Even the tiniest amount of flex at the hubs can translate to enough movement out where the calipers are to cause a slight disk/pad contact. Good luck. - Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep, normal for disc brakes. Bouncing down the trail can knock things into a slightly different alignment. My rotor-rub noises usually change several times per ride.

A trick to adjust Hayes while riding is to squeeze the lever until the brake drags a bit, then release, then repeat a couple times. The self-adjusting-pad feature usually makes the rub go away.