Thread: Disc rub ?

better than I deserve

Disc rub ?

Is it normal to hear a slight rotor rub on a hard turn?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's normal. Depending on how stiff/rigid your rotors are it may be less or more severe.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    Is it normal to hear a slight rotor rub on a hard turn?
    If you're using wheels with quick release skewers, the skewer may not be tight enough.

The bearings may be loose in the hub.

If it only happens when you turn one way, the caliper may not be centered properly on the rotor.

The rub is caused by the hub moving relative to the frame or fork where the caliper is fixed. If you've got adjustable play in the hub bearings you may want to snug them up.

I wouldn't call that "normal". I'd figure out what is causing it and try to fix it...

Good luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airman View Post
    If you're using wheels with quick release skewers, the skewer may not be tight enough.

The bearings may be loose in the hub.

If it only happens when you turn one way, the caliper may not be centered properly on the rotor.

The rub is caused by the hub moving relative to the frame or fork where the caliper is fixed. If you've got adjustable play in the hub bearings you may want to snug them up.

I wouldn't call that "normal". I'd figure out what is causing it and try to fix it...
    Yep, it's not really normal at all. Depending on how old your hubs or more specifically the bearings in them are it could be a result of worn bearings.

I'd say start out with the easy things and work your way up until hopefully you find it. I would suggest making sure the wheel is indeed on straight and sitting in the dropouts properly. If that's not it maybe check your bearings.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

better than I deserve
    All Parts are new.XT skewers are keeping the wheels tight and centered.No extra play in the bearings they feel nice and tight.
    It`s just enough to give a slight metallic sound it`s very slight but I can hear it.I backed off the front adjustment a bit more and it almost went away not sure how much is coming from the rear?
    Will do more riding and sorting and take it from there at least I know it`s something to work out.