2003 Giant NRS 1

Disc Rotor Swap Question

Ok, so I got a new wheelset and need to take the rotors off the old wheelset and place them on the new one. I think I can manage taking the cassette, skewers and tires off but my concern is torquing the bolts down. Do I need a special tool or set up to do this whole process? I got a traditional car torque wrench and Torx bit for the screws.

Thanks for your help

Nick

BTW, I have Hayes hydrolics

bike moron
    Sounds like you have everything you need...just torque the rotors to 55 in a star pattern & check then after a bit of riding. The info is all in the Hayes manual....

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/45...lishForWeb.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A "car torque wrench" is usually measured in foot-pounds, which is way more than you need for those rotor bolts! The rotor bolts probably take around 60 inch-pounds, or 5 foot-pounds. There's no way that a foot-pound torque wrench will be accurate at such a small torque. Better to just do it by hand with an allen wrench or get the correct type of torque wrench. Just remember to use threadlock on the bolts so they don't come loose!

2003 Giant NRS 1
    Well, it turns out I don't need to use a torque wrench after all as these have "center locking rotors". Unfortunately they did not come with the wheelset I got so I will have to buy them, a concern I have is if they will work with my existing brakes. Here's the specs for everything...

2003 Giant NRS 1

Hayes disc brakes (hydraulic)

Shimano XT WH-M765 Wheelset

Shimano center lock rotors SM-RT96

So I need to know if the ones in red are compatible? Does anyone know anything about center lock rotors?

Thanks for all your help once again.

Nick

mtbr member
    centrelock is just another way for shimano to lock its customers into buying more of their products, I'd imagine that if the dimensions of the rotor are close enough (track width, diameter) then you should be fine. I think Hayes and Shimano are fairly compatible with each other.

- Joel

mtbr member
    Hayes and Shimano told me that they would not recommend that combination due to a lack of testing, despite the outer diameter and thickness being very close. They specified that the material interaction/wear could be problematic.

For a number of reasons, I felt they were just trying to cover there own arses. I have been using the XTR centerlock discs and hubs with Hayes hydraulic brakes. They have worked flawlessly for 9 to 11 months.

Hope this helps.

dd..''

.................................................. .......................

2003 Giant NRS 1
    Dodjy do you need a special tool to tighten the lock nut? thanks

Nick

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The centerlock rotors uses the same splined tool as the rear cassette lockring. Although some cheaper tools may have trouble fitting correctly since my Hyper-cracker tool fits the cassette lockring but not the rotor lockring. The Shimano cassette lockring tool definitely fits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharT
    The centerlock rotors uses the same splined tool as the rear cassette lockring. Although some cheaper tools may have trouble fitting correctly since my Hyper-cracker tool fits the cassette lockring but not the rotor lockring. The Shimano cassette lockring tool definitely fits.
    Same as above.

dd..''

mtbr member

???

I have a similar problem/question, I am replaced my current rear wheel with deore hubs, I just bought a new wheel with XT hubs online and got it today, much to my suprise theres no place for me to mount my rotors. But I do see the splined ring, so I check the actual item description and to my dismay I see that it says the hub is compatible with the center lock system which I didn't have before. MY current rotor is a hayes.

What are my options? Is it possible to buy the spider that bolts to the rotor, the lock ring and utilize my old rotor?
    Saratoga Mountain Bike Association - www.saratogamtb.org

"Tri" sticker. Translation: "One Less Good Bike Handler."

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Problem Solvers makes an adapter that allows you to mount 6-bolt rotors onto a centerlock hub. However, you will certainly be adding more weight. Using a centerlock rotor with your Hayes brakes should work except that the Shimano rotors have a narrower brake track than most other brakes. This means the Hayes brake pads are probably slightly bigger than the brake track on the Shimano rotors and would partly rub on the rotor arms. It's normally not a big deal, but just be aware of that potential issue.

mtbr member

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by CharT
    Problem Solvers makes an adapter that allows you to mount 6-bolt rotors onto a centerlock hub. However, you will certainly be adding more weight. Using a centerlock rotor with your Hayes brakes should work except that the Shimano rotors have a narrower brake track than most other brakes. This means the Hayes brake pads are probably slightly bigger than the brake track on the Shimano rotors and would partly rub on the rotor arms. It's normally not a big deal, but just be aware of that potential issue.
    I have shimano mechanical brake system but the rotor was a hayes and they worked fine together....

I checked out the problem solver online and theres a note on Jensons website saying that its not compatible with my hub. So I suppose my next option is to buy a center-lock rotor. But do I now need to buy the lock washer seperate or does it come with a new rotor?

2003 Giant NRS 1
    Hey Goddy, I've checked out some stores and they are way more expensive than online but If you go to ebay it looks like there's some pretty good deals in that you get two rotors for the price of one. Did you get Shimano XT WH-M765 wheelsets?

mtbr member

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by NRS1FREAK
    Hey Goddy, I've checked out some stores and they are way more expensive than online but If you go to ebay it looks like there's some pretty good deals in that you get two rotors for the price of one. Did you get Shimano XT WH-M765 wheelsets?
    Yeah thats the hub, with XC717 Mavics from performance bike

By stores do you mean Online stores or LBS?

2003 Giant NRS 1
    Oh ok, I got the whole wheelset not just the hub. Anyway, yeah were suck with shimanos rotors. Yes, Online stores although you can check your LBS they will probably be special order and expensive.

mtbr member

ok...

Ok so did you end up getting new shimano(obviously) rotors, did the lock ring come with it ?

2003 Giant NRS 1
    Yes, the ones I got do come with the lock rings but I just got them from ebay so I haven't actually seen them yet... Hopefully they are new like the seller said.

edit: If they don't come with the lock rings, I've seen them online going for about $12.00 but I don't remember the links or if they come in pairs. Just do a search for the rotors. I don't know if it's the same rotor your looking for but the ones in the manual said these... Shimano center lock rotors SM-RT96

mtbr member

Buy it now?

Quote Originally Posted by NRS1FREAK
    Yes, the ones I got do come with the lock rings but I just got them from ebay so I haven't actually seen them yet... Hopefully they are new like the seller said.

edit: If they don't come with the lock rings, I've seen them online going for about $12.00 but I don't remember the links or if they come in pairs. Just do a search for the rotors. I don't know if it's the same rotor your looking for but the ones in the manual said these... Shimano center lock rotors SM-RT96
    Did you happen to buy the ebay ones that were a buy it now for $60? If not could you send me the auction number so I could compare?

2003 Giant NRS 1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3696128279

Update edit: Ok, I found out from my LBS that they DO have adaptors now for my wheelsets so, I think that includes your hub too Goddy. As for cost I don't know but this adaptor will ad weight to your bike as said above.

I guess if this ebay transaction pans out I will try to use those rotors with my current bike but I'm not sure if they are compatible still... Does any one have or know where I can find stats/measurements for both shimanos rotor and Hayes rotor for comparison? I've tried searching online a bit but didn't get specific info.

thanks

Nick
    Last edited by NRS1FREAK; 09-01-2004 at 07:23 PM.

2003 Giant NRS 1
    Hope it's not too late Goddy but I found this for you...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=58082

also here...

http://www.startsomefun.com/sports/b...m,wheelset.htm

2003 Giant NRS 1
    Err.. ignore.

2003 Giant NRS 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dodjy
    Hayes and Shimano told me that they would not recommend that combination due to a lack of testing, despite the outer diameter and thickness being very close. They specified that the material interaction/wear could be problematic.

For a number of reasons, I felt they were just trying to cover there own arses. I have been using the XTR centerlock discs and hubs with Hayes hydraulic brakes. They have worked flawlessly for 9 to 11 months.

Hope this helps.

dd..''
    So Dodjy do you have brand new pads in and they work fine? I just installed everything and the wheels don't spin freely but they do spin (oddly no sound like rubbing either??). Anyways, I'm afraid if I get new pads and stick them in they won't work well together. Or is there an adjustment for the hayes calipers to space them out more?? Thanks.

Nick