Thread: Disc or Rim?

must have long ride...

New question here. Disc or Rim?

Hey all, I have a minor problem. I am thinking of getting a new bike (a Specialized Epic if you must know), and there are two models @ my LBS. and '03 w/ rim brakes ($1599) and an 04 w/ discs ($2199). I currently have discs on on my Giant Iguana (hayes HMX-1'a) and am wondering if it would be worth it to bite the bullet and go for the 03 Epic w/ the rims, or for the more expensice 04 Epic Comp w/ the discs. I love the stoppin power of my current discs and they work great in the wet, muddy, ugly conditions that always seem to find me when I am riding. Any help would be appriciated. BTW, I live in SE PA if it at all matters, and our water table is really high right not, so all the trails are kinda muddy.
    Current bikes:
    -04 Epic Comp: SWEEEEET, brand new!!! ($2K in 05)
    -03 Giant Iguana Disc
    -19?? Schwinn Highplains

There's no app for this.

this might help

do the math for a new set of rims (+ 50 pr rubber rim stoppers + 20 hours pharting around setting them up + a few white knuckle near-death experiences) after you wear thru them with rim brakes. Not to mention the frustration and lack of control. If you are really not sure, borrow a bud's ride with rim brakes and I think you'll find your answer.

Wet and mud = disc. Simple math. this discs long run are less costly, offer way more control, and the right way to go.

At least that's my .02

Jim MCM #11

Are you talking to me?

What, are you kidding?

If you are already riding with discs, you are going to have a hard time adjusting to rim brakes. If you are riding in foul weather, this only makes the situation worse. Puny up. The discs are not the only upgrade goint from the Epic to the Comp. The new shock is one. The discs are another.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Ride_16
    Hey all, I have a minor problem. I am thinking of getting a new bike (a Specialized Epic if you must know), and there are two models @ my LBS. and '03 w/ rim brakes ($1599) and an 04 w/ discs ($2199). I currently have discs on on my Giant Iguana (hayes HMX-1'a) and am wondering if it would be worth it to bite the bullet and go for the 03 Epic w/ the rims, or for the more expensice 04 Epic Comp w/ the discs. I love the stoppin power of my current discs and they work great in the wet, muddy, ugly conditions that always seem to find me when I am riding. Any help would be appriciated. BTW, I live in SE PA if it at all matters, and our water table is really high right not, so all the trails are kinda muddy.
    So you save $600 by buying the rim braked animal. Do that!

Why?

The Epic disc has low grade hubs and the Shimano 555 Hydros are good, but you can do better. Take yer $600 saving, get some better hubs, lace them into the original wheels and choose some disc brakes that can use metallic pads. Should have enough cash left over to do whatever. Also, the disc uses (AFAIK) a Float 100RL. The rim raked on gets a Float 100RLC. That's on last years model of course, but it might hold true for the newer models too.

The simple fact is that for a bike the level of the Epic, it uses some pretty low grade stuff to keep costs down. If you can save some bucks on the non-disc model, and use them $$$ to upgrade most of the lower grade stuff you should end up with something far better.

That's what I would do anyway...

There's no app for this.

are you

asking if I was kidding when I said to buy the disc model? For the same reasons you stated, plus I added a business case to show rim was less control for more money over time?

Huh? Or maybe you're kidding?

Jim MCM #11

must have long ride...

actually

The 03 model is the 03 Epic that originally came w/ a SID, but the bike wasn't selling that way so the shop took that off and put a Float 80RL on. But whatever... point taken.
    Current bikes:
    -04 Epic Comp: SWEEEEET, brand new!!! ($2K in 05)
    -03 Giant Iguana Disc
    -19?? Schwinn Highplains

mtbr member

Ouch...

Jeeze, if they stuck a Sid on it, I wouldn't like the thing AT ALL.

I"ve seen two Epics. both fitted OEM with Floats.

One in Japan, one in Australia. I had no idea they would degrade that bike with a Sid. Something good to say for export models huh?

Sorry, got a real big thing against Rockshox. Don't care what model they are, I think all their forks suck. By that's my opinion...