mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Disc/Pad Rub? Juicy 7's

So... I accidently pulled my front brake lever while the front wheel was off. I didn't have any problem putting the wheel back on, but I am now getting some rub (not too much...but I don't like it). Will my brake self adjust on my next ride...or do I have to get them adjusted? I have already tried to adjust on the lever...new brakes and no room to widen the pads. Also...a brief description on "self adjusting" would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

I'd rather be riding!
    Since you could put the wheel back on then pulling the lever is probably not the problem. Lots of times brake rub will occur when you remove a wheel and then put it back on. That is why I do not like to transport my bike with the wheel off. Inevitably I will have some brake rub when I put it back on.

Several things to try. Just try loosening the skewer and tightening several times. Could just be a slight positional thing. Ride a short distance and hit the brakes hard a few times. If neither of these help then you either have a piston that is sticking on one side or you need to align the caliper.

Juicy pistons stick and need cleaning fairly often. Since yours are new it is probably not that, but keep it in mind because it will happen sooner or later. So to align the caliper loosen the caliper bolts until you get free movement of the caliper. Grab the brake lever and squeeze and hold. While still holding reach down and tighten the caliper bolts gently and evenly until they are tight. This should center the caliper with respect to the rotor. See your Juicy manual for a more detailed explanation.

The self adjusting part, as far as I am aware, is nothing more than the spring that is between the pads pushing them outward. When you let off the brakes there is a little give in the system and the spring helps to separate the pads and hold them apart.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thank you for the reply...I'll give it a try.

Meh.
    Before you do all that... just push the pistons back into their bores with a big flathead screwdriver. Don't gouge the pads.

Self adjusting means that the system compensates for pad wear. The lever travel will not change as the pads wear down. The pad gap will still the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Before you do all that... just push the pistons back into their bores with a big flathead screwdriver. Don't gouge the pads. ...
    Or use something that won't possibley gouge the pads. My favorite is old credit cards, library cards, and IDs; just keep shoving new ones inbetween the pads until they are all the way back.