mtbr member

Disc grinding on brake pads

Hi there,

Just got my Kona Stinky, came with Hayes 9, just wanna ask is it normal to have the disc slightly grinding the pads? Coz I find that one side of the pad just can't seems to go back to it's orginal position after engaging the brake. Had to push the disc to make the pads open up alittle to stop it from grinding, but it always back to grinding once I engage the brakes. Is it due to faulty caliper?

Cheers
    Maverick

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    It shouldn't be doing that, but being Hayes Nine it probalby would most likley. Take it back, get them to fix it up.

When this happened to my 9's, it turned out that once piston was 'sticky' and stuck in a bit, meaning the brakes were not set up correctly and there was rubbing and other problems. I dropped the wheel out, got a clean flat head screwdriver and pressed it firm against one pad. Then squeezed the lever, this extra force helped push the opposite pad out. Then i pried the pads back in and did the same to the opposite side. Finally I dropped the wheel back in, squeezed the lever once while re-centering the caliper, and i was good to go.

mtbr member
    It depends on how much it is rubbing. . . New pads are going to rub a little. It is hard to get them perfect. I normally have to push the callipers back into the bore a few times before I get pad replacement and positioning good on my nines. If it is rubbing hard enought to slow the wheel considerably then you need some work done.

Meh.
    Doesn't matter if the pads are new or used, they should not be rubbing. The caliper needs to be centered (NO! YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE SHIMS!). It's also possible that the fluid expansion has pushed out the pistons a little bit, in this case, a little bit of fluid needs to be released.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have the same brakes and they barley had this problem.

I was wondering, how do you release some fluid or open the system I am reading the instructions on opening the caliper bleed valve. It seems mine is stuck it won't move.

Meh.
    The caliper bleed valve is very soft and strips easily. Be careful when opening, if it's really stuck, don't mess with it, you can draw a bit of fluid out from the lever bleed hole.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The caliper bleed valve is very soft and strips easily. Be careful when opening, if it's really stuck, don't mess with it, you can draw a bit of fluid out from the lever bleed hole.
    Thanks for responding its very stuck. I stopped after rounding once edge off with a monkey wrench; it is definatly made of aluminium. I wish I tried to release some from the lever bleed hole but I pressed the lever with out any brake pads in and one of the cylinders went out so far that air came in. (I can be a dumbars sometimes ) and now there is no power.

Any suggestions on how to open the thing? Somehow I have to get the thing open to bleed the brakes.

Meh.
    Without the pads or rotor anywhere near it, spray it down with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench. Let that stuff soak in for a while. Try to break it loose by turning it clockwise first, then turn counterclockwise. Be patient with it. If that doesn't work, heatgun.