Thread: disc conversion

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

disc conversion

Im highly considering a like new (mint 50miles) used 2010 Rockhopper, the bike comes with rim brakes, is this worth setting up disc's on it, I saw a BB7 kit with everything included, but Im not sure if the wheels are set up for them.
    This is the bike Im considering.
    Thanks
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Rockhopper

mtbr member
    I do not believe that those hubs are disc compatible, so new wheels would be in order.
    The fork has mounts for discs, but I am not sure about the frame (rear brake).
    Looks like it is either buy the bike and ride as is, or save some more money and buy a bike with disc brakes if you really want them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Shalom is correct. The stock wheels on the 10 base model Rockhopper are not disc compatible. There's no way to mount the rotor to the hub. You'd need a new set of wheels or at least new hubs to upgrade to disc brakes. You'll need a 6 bolt hub if you intend to go with BB7s. So factor in a new wheel set if you want to go disc brakes. Wheel sets start around $99 and go up. It's all in what you want. A comparable set, quality wise, to what you have on the bike now would be this set Bicycle Wheel Warehouse - Sun DS1-XC Shimano Disc from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. They make good wheels, all are hand built using quality components. The wheels that I linked to likely wouldn't be and lighter than what's on the bike now. But I can tell you they'd be superior to them due to the hand build.

As for being worth it. The Rockhopper is a solid bike and is certainly worth setting up with disc brakes as long as you can do it without exceeding what the bike is worth, or if you intend to keep the bike until it's worn out. Wheels and brakes will likely run you around $200 to $250 total. Maybe less if you are willing to with used stuff. But I tend to shy away from used brakes and wheels. You never know how they've been used or maintained, plus no warranty if there is a problem.

Anyway, your call. Personally if I intend to ride the bike off road, disc brakes are a must for me. And if that RH is in that good of shape, I'd do it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Shalom, Thank you very much, your response prompted me to start to do a wheel set search, but I was overwhelmed as any noob would be with all the wheel choices out there,

Squash, Thanks my friend, this is exactly the reply I was hoping for, If I ran my Trek 720 Hybrid for 11 years, then Im sure the RH will be with me as long, I was looking at Mavic wheels as well, I think thats what they call them.
    I can prolly do that and the BB7 complete kit rather cheap....just need to line up what works with what.
    Thnaks

mtbr member
    Good luck. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey guys Thanks again, Im looking at the Mavic Crossroads for a wheelset on my RH, looking for opinions, Im also considering the Sun DS1-XC.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Mavic Crossride Disc Wheelset 2010