2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009

Disc Break stopping power.

I was under the assumption Disc breaks provided very strong and firm stopping power, though today testing a few bikes at a LBS I was less then impressed. In fact I found both mechanical or hydrolic disc breaks to be pretty weak compared to normal V Breaks. am I missing something?

local trails rider
    Usually, disc brakes require some running in to get full power: preferably several stops in clean conditions.

I got very good power from my V brakes but they were dependant on clean and dry conditions, even with good pads. My discs work in all conditions.

Aug 2009
    so what you are saying is because the bike was new they weren't really activated yet?

local trails rider
    Quite likely.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just like in your car, when you replace the brake pads or rotors, the first few stops wont be impressive. Also, cheap disc brakes arent impressive at all in any metric either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    As a new set of disc brakes gets used, a small amount of pad material is deposited onto the rotor. This improves power greatly. As mentioned above, this break-in period applies to both bike and car brakes.

Discs provide a lot of power, as much or more than v-brakes. But where they really improve on v's is how little finger effort is needed for the same power. Lever feel and modulation are typically better too. And of course, they're better in adverse weather and stream crossings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    I was under the assumption disc brakes provided very strong and firm stopping power, though today testing a few bikes at a LBS I was less then impressed. In fact I found both mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes to be pretty weak compared to normal V brakes. Am I missing something?
    You didn't ride broken-in disc brakes. What you're missing is that, yes, discs are more powerful than vees but they require a bit of riding to be fully broken-in, as opposed to vees which grab their best right away. I know, I have a vee brake bike and three disc brake bikes. Discs are more powerful, hands down. Vees do stop me, though, can't complain.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I just installed new SHimano SLX discs recently and they were unimpressive for the first ride, but on the 2nd and 3rd ride they came alive and stop great, way better than my old BB5's.

Aug 2009
    My new bike has the BB5's and I am really impressed by them, way more stooping power than the older V breaks I had. I cant really imagine better than the bb5.

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    I think what you are experiencing is better modulation with discs, don't skid as quick and give you better feel, and brand new brake pads. Trust me, when you need brakes, they'll be there. My old V Brakes were completely useless after 100 yards of good steep downhill.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Doing a couple 10mph parking lot stops won't show what the disks are capable of. They are worlds apart when you're going downhill at 40mph and have power and modulation to spare with one finger on the lever.