mtbr member
    Jan 2011

disc brakes trouble

hi, i mistakenly pulled the brakes while the wheels were off and had to pry open the pads. both wheels rub on the brakes now, so took front wheel off to try pry open the pads some more. now something was catching in the brake disc.

i opened the brakes with an allen key and a mangled bit of metal fell out. looks like some sort of spacer that was inbetween the pads. i also pressed the brake and oil squirted out now when i put the wheel back on and pull the brake, the pressure isn't enough to stop it well enough.

what must i do to repair this?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rubez View Post
    Take it to a bike shop. Your methods and terminology indicate you're a novice bike mechanic. Brakes are not something a novice bike mechanic should be hamfisting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    Take it to a bike shop. Your methods and terminology indicate you're a novice bike mechanic. Brakes are not something a novice bike mechanic should be hamfisting.
    i.e. you have no clue.

i have built bikes up when i was younger. knew i should have got a V brake one, hydraulic brakes seem over engineered for a pedal bicycle... it's motorcycle technology! anything to make a profit i suppose.

does anyone know what the little clip thing was? or if it was important?

do i need to get some oil to replace what was lost? that must be why it doesn't brake so good anymore, lost pressure? unless that bracket thing in the pads was important to actual braking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine View Post
    ^^^This

Quote Originally Posted by rubez View Post
    i.e. you have no clue....
    No...it's you that has no clue about disc brakes. So far, you've managed to mangle a piece (I guarantee it was there for a reason) and lose fluid (did you get it on the pads and rotor?).

How should we know what the "mangled bit of metal" was? You haven't even told us what brand and model the brakes are.

Do yourself a big favor and take it to your LBS.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    i opened the brakes with an allen key.
    Why ?
    Did you know what you were doing and what the possible consequences of this action might be ?

a mangled bit of metal fell out. looks like some sort of spacer that was inbetween the pads
    Possibly the pad spreader clip which pushes the pads up against the pistons and stops them rattling around. Without actually seeing what it looks like it'd only be a guess.

does anyone know what the little clip thing was? or if it was important?
    If it was the pad spreader clip it will need replacing, it mightn't look like much but it's there for a reason so yes it is important.

i also pressed the brake and oil squirted out
    Where from ?
    When did this happen, after you used something in to push the pads apart ? after you took the brake apart ? after you put the brake together ?

do i need to get some oil to replace what was lost?
    Yes

that must be why it doesn't brake so good anymore, lost pressure?
    It might be part of the reason, if you got any hydraulic fluid on the pads and rotor that will also contribute to poor performance.

hydraulic brakes seem over engineered for a pedal bicycle... it's motorcycle technology! anything to make a profit i suppose.
    I guess there is no real benefits from disc brakes seeing as they will perform better then rim brakes in wet and muddy conditions, they aren't effected by buckled rims like the rim brakes are and don't wear down the side wall on the rim like the rim brakes do.

knew i should have got a V brake one
    If you did a bit research on the brakes you have and knew how they worked before you started mucking around with them you'd have a lot less problems.

i.e. you have no clue.

i have built bikes up when i was younger.
    Who seems to have no clue ?
    Were the bike building days of your youth of any help with your new hydraulic brakes ?

Judging by what you've done so far, which seem to of been a disaster, I suggest you take the bike to someone who has the right tools, knows what they are doing and can fix your brakes properly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I don't think he is gonna cost himself anymore money now....he probably needs a seal kit, a pad kit and a full bleed...

So he can screw around all he wants...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

pad spreader, that's exactly what it was.

no need to take the bike to a shop. i need a new pad spreader and top up on hydraulic fluid.

excuse me if i didn't come out the womb armed with hydraulic brake knowledge. i will learn... trial and error, this is how it works.

i'm sure it will be a simple job once i've figured it out - everyone was a 'novice' once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Since you don't seem inclined to tell us what make and model the brakes are, get the service manual from the manufacturer's website.

If you split the two halves of the caliper apart and pulled the lever, you will need to bleed the brakes to remove the air you introduced to the system. This involves more then just "top(ing) up the hydraulic fluid" and generally requires a bleed kit for your particular make/model.

You will also need to determine the correct type of hydraulic fluid to use. This will also be in the service manual.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hayes Stroker Ryde hydr. discbrake (160/160mm)

i did squeeze the lever with the brakes apart. so will need to bleed then.