mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Disc brakes squealing when wet

Hi,
    After I go through streams and get my hydraulic disc brakes wet, they start to squeal obnoxiously. Not disc brake squeaking here and there when I apply the brakes, but LOUD, uncontrolable squealing that seems like it could be heard from a mile down the trail when I apply my brakes hard.

I'm just doing normal stream crossings, not abusing the bike or soaking it in water. The brakes seem to be very sensitive to being dirty or wet. I've switched the pads front to rear and cleaned and sanded the rotors and it doesn't help.

Does anyone else have this problem, or know what could be the cause? Thanks!

I'm on fire.
    Give us the key bit of info - what brand/model of brakes do you have?

My Juicy 7s has some squeelin' issues that I took care of with a different style rotor and made even better with non-avid pads.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

mtbr member

Non-avid pads

Trigger,

What brand of pads do you use? I ordered some Galfer pads and they did fit in the Avid brake housing (Juicy 5), but the "handle" portion of the pad was in a different spot and interfered with the bracket that holds the brake housing to my bike (hope that makes sense). I had to send them back.

Just curious as to what other brands of pads have the handle portion in the same spot as Avid and will work on my bike (2005 Marin Rift Zone).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    shimano deore hydraulic. how do I tell what kind/size rotors I have?

I suspect my rear rotor may even have been defective from the time I got it, because my front brake never made the same squealing noise, not before or after I switched the pads and cleaned and sanded them.

If I try to replace my rear rotor, any suggestions on what to replace it with?

MTB Monkey
    Just an FYI, but almost all disks squeal when they get wet. It is not something I would get too worked up about.

Did a big group ride early in the season that had a bunch of snow on the trail. It was hilarious to listen to 17 bikes (34 brakes!) squealing when the trail turned down hill.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefe74
    Just an FYI, but almost all disks squeal when they get wet. It is not something I would get too worked up about.

Did a big group ride early in the season that had a bunch of snow on the trail. It was hilarious to listen to 17 bikes (34 brakes!) squealing when the trail turned down hill.
    Yup, and sometimes they stay quiet. Totally normal for my brakes to howl on occasion. Can never be sure when or if it will happen. Comes and goes during the ride.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Used to have the older XTs and Hayes Mags, they never squeeled. Now have Juicy 5s and those suckers squeel like crazy when humid or dirt falls inside the caliper.

Any recomendations?

MTB B'dos

All discs squeal

As has been said all discs squeal, it just depends on how much and for how long. My Hope Mono Mini's will start to squeal when I get near the east coast where salt spray is thick, but once I give it a couple taps the squealing stops. Same thing when going through water, a few pumps on them and the quiet right up, guess you just need to evaporate the water/heat the rotors to stop the squeaking

As to your brakes being "bad" from the get go, I more than think that it's your frame if anythig that's "bad". More than likely your disc tabs were faced and are not square and hence cause the squealing cause the rotor is running at an angle to the actual calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by kawarider
    shimano deore hydraulic. how do I tell what kind/size rotors I have?

I suspect my rear rotor may even have been defective from the time I got it, because my front brake never made the same squealing noise, not before or after I switched the pads and cleaned and sanded them.

If I try to replace my rear rotor, any suggestions on what to replace it with?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Meh.
    Try different pads. The stock Avid compound is pretty hard.