cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Disc Brakes, so far kind of a pain...

So I WAS excited about having a new set of formula k24's on my beloved hard tail. After foolishly trying out an Alligator rotor only to have a solid drag free spin while holding the front end up only to get a "bllllldp bbllllllllldp" sound while actually riding, to giving up and throwing my old rotor back on. Now, to make matters worse, I developed a slight drag on my front rotor. I recentered and sure enough a slight drag while riding...again. Now, after doing the trick in the manual about holding one piston back while pumping to rewet the piston I now have pads with ZERO clearance and the wheel drags on BOTH sides...I give up. Bike is going in the shop tomorrow

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Remove the wheel and push the pistons all the way into the calipers. Replace the wheel and squeeze the lever a couple of times. That should give you the correct gap.

cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, I just did what you said and I am still getting the rub. I think it's also pointing out that the factory bleed on, at least the front, sucks. The gap is so minimal that even the slightest deviation in the rotor results in noise.

TNC
    noMAD man
    As a last resort if after reseating the pistons in their bores, they still come back out creating drag, try bleeding off a bit of fluid pressure. Open a bleed port valve or screw. Carefully and slowly push the pistons fully into their bores. Do not let off of this pressure before closing the port valve or screw, as air could enter. This is easier or harder depending on brand and model of brake. I like to use a port in the system that allows use of a nipple and a clear piece of hose pointed straight up, so you can see how much fluid comes out...and the fluid doesn't spooge all over your bike or components.

29 some of the time...
    Disc brakes do require some trail and error to get working well. However once set they are very low maintenance. Also sounds like your alligator rotor needs a truing. Most rotors are not flat even when brand new. The shop should be able to get things in order, but that won't help in the long run. There are a few tricks that must be learned on your own and bleeding is usually a must even on "pre-bled" systems for best performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah I hear you...I called Formula today and they were very helpful. They gave me some suggestions and I think the performance and clearance is much better. I will keep you all posted as more rides are under my belt.