mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Disc brakes for small hands!

I'm building up a 16" trials bike for my wee lad (he's 5) and will be putting discs on it. He currently has hydraulic discs on his Oset, although he struggles with the reach, so am about to bend those levers closer to the bar.

Can anybody make any suggestion for a disc brake combination which allows for the lever to be placed pretty close to the bar for his wee hands?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can adjust the levers on avid elixir 5s and above to be pretty close to the bar.

turtles make me hot
    Same here... Mt son has Elixirs on his bike. I adjusted the levers close for easy reach.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ahh. I've the elixir 3's on my Trek which I have found to be pretty good (although they seems to get slated on here quite a bit), but the 3's have little adjustment.

Prefer to go hydraulic rather than cable as well, so maybe the 5's would fir the bill. I think the adjustment is more important than power etc, as they're isn't exactly much weight to slow down!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by MIOM View Post
    Ahh. I've the elixir 3's on my Trek which I have found to be pretty good (although they seems to get slated on here quite a bit), but the 3's have little adjustment.

Prefer to go hydraulic rather than cable as well, so maybe the 5's would fir the bill. I think the adjustment is more important than power etc, as they're isn't exactly much weight to slow down!
    That's the truth. I was nervous about my son launching himself over the bars going down hills with the new brakes. I put 160mm rotors front and rear. I considered getting a 140 for the rear, but the rear isn't the one I was worried about. He's been on the new bike with the Elixirs since July and so far, no mishaps.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    How hold is your boy? How close to the bars can you get the levers?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sorry, I meant how old!

turtles make me hot
    My son is about to turn 8 in the middle of October. He's freakishly tall and burly... Probably around 54" tall and about 78 pounds.
    It's my fault. I'm 6'4 0r 5 and my wife is 5' 7".
    His hands are big for a kid but still small. I have the smallest diameter ODI grip on there. I set his brakes up just like mine on the inside of the shifters so he can brake with one finger.
    I'll try and figure out how to post pics so you can see the layout.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Anybody used the Clarks Exo Skeletal?