mtbr member

Disc Brakes Question

I'm about to get a new bike, and will have disc brakes for the first time. I usually transport my bike in the back of my Honda Element, so I take off the front tire. Is this hard to do with disc brakes? Is there anything I need to be careful of when putting it in the car? My bike usually just rests on the forks and back tire, and I bunje cord it to the side of my car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If your brake lever gets squeezed with the wheels off it can be a pain to get the brakes pads back in place, but if your carefull that prolly wont happen too often.
    On another note, I drive a chevy trailblazer and used to put my bike in the back of it, similar to your situation. I bought a rack that slides in to my reciever hitch, and really enjoy it. Its much quicker to load up and take off. No wheels on and off. If you have a reciever hitch, I reccomend getting a rack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    you slip a shim into the calipers for transport. wood plastic, anything handy, just have it ready,

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    you slip a shim into the calipers for transport. wood plastic, anything handy, just have it ready,
    If you don't have one don't worry about these. For a year I crammed my bike(with hydros) with at least one other bike into the back of chevy tracker with only 1 problem when a guy grabbed my lever without thinking- he didn't do that one twice..I was a bit pissed. Even squeezed 3 bikes all with hydros and three people into the back of that car. (if you've ever seen one you will know what I'm talking about) Not once have I ever had a shim in my caliper. But that's just my experience YMMV.

mtbr member
    Thank for the advice.

I don't have a trailer hitch, have been wanting one. I do have a Yakima Raptor on my roof, but it's a workout to get my bike secured, so I've been putting it in the back.

I have noticed with my current bike, the brake levers do tend to hit the back of my driver's seat while transporting. Would it be a good idea to keep a piece of cardboard in my car for the disc brakes? Are there any other precautions I need to keep in mind?

Also, mentioning my Raptor reminded me, I'm trying to find someone on Craig's List to swap me for a SprocketRocket or other fork mounted system. Is there anything I need to look out for when locking forks with disc brakes to a rack?

Rub it............
    Just keep something, anything you can wedge between the pads. Other than that, no other precautions.