mtbr member

Disc brakes and mud/dirt

Well, I'm looking at getting a set of disc brakes (I think I can get some Grimeca Sys 12 on the cheap) but some things still concern me.

The trails I ride on weave through the undergrowth and are often muddy, dry tracks are somewhat of a luxury. I read that discs handle the mud better, but mud has a tendency to go everywhere. I guess my question is if the rotor gets covered in that fine mud-spray I see on my spokes will performance be greately hampered ? Or would it still be miles better than a muddy v-brake ?

The second thing is crash resistance, I usually have about one crash a week (I'm still new to this thing) nothing serious, but I'm worried how a hydraulic system might take it, especially the lines and reservoirs.

Anyway that's about it, I appreciate any insight in advance.

nimble biker

disk brake

Don't worry about disk brake system. It is best to get Avid hydraulic brakes. it is cheap for beginner and durable. If you crash it won't damage the hoses unless you cut it with a knife. The disk brake pad are made of resin pad and the rotors are design for self cleaning. Your bike will be ok.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Read the disc brake FAQ. Link is in the upper right corner.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trail rider and racer
    See the FAQ but using disk in mud or dusty or outright nasty conditons is much more beneficial in contrast to V brakes.

During my winter time I get to ride in some disgusting conditons and have found disks to be just so reliable in contrast to the old cables and v brakes. I happily ride and dont worry about breaking isssues.

OK! As to falls and alike - Never fear, in general Hydros are very strong and reliable. If your going to take on a very serious crash (Which I suspect is not the case) you may have issues but there are too many variables in order to fairly answer this. In general Hydros are fairly bomp proof.

If you have a major crash (ie with a car or of a drop) you may bend a disk, but as I say its hard to fairly answer such a question...

Disk = The only way IMHO!
    Trev!

mtbr member
    I did read the FAQ, but it was too ambiguous, so I decided to post some questions. Which were answered superbly, I'm going to the shop tomorrow and see what I could get.

Cheers Picard and Trevor!

just along for the ride
    If you get hydros make sure your brake levers are a bit loose so in event of your next crash they will move a bit and not just snap off the lever. I have loads of crashes/endos on my XT hydros, no problems.