mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Disc Brakes For The Mechanically Challenged

I'm working on building up my first full-suspension bike, a Titus Racer-X 100 Ti and was thinking about going with disc brakes. I've been told to go with either the Marta SL or the Avid Juicy 7. Not being the most mechanically inclined person though, my thinking is Avid mechanicals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and wisely usedů

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmonk
    I'm working on building up my first full-suspension bike, a Titus Racer-X 100 Ti and was thinking about going with disc brakes. I've been told to go with either the Marta SL or the Avid Juicy 7. Not being the most mechanically inclined person though, my thinking is Avid mechanicals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and wisely usedů
    Nice bike. Discs are an outstanding upgrade. First ride, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. If you are doing the work yourself, Avid mechanicals would probably be your best bet for ease of use. They are deal simple to setup. The cables work the same as v's so no muss no fuss. I love my Maguras but they require special tools and pateince to setup properly.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah go with the avid mechs. They have a very tunable design and offer lots of breaking power. Everyone I know who has them likes them...Personally, I like the feel and power of my Hayes 8" mags better.

mtbr member
    I don't think you need to be too mechanically inclined to run hydros. I too have a ti 100 R X and I run XTRs disc with no problems. Also had no problems with XTs.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    go with hydraulics, something reliable like hayes

they are less maint, less work because they don't go through pads as fast, you don't have to adjust the pads like you have to on avids, you don't have to change cables every few months for optimum performance (maybe bleed them once a year, and that's only if you feel they need it), etc...

only go with mechs if you are "mechanically" inlcined IMO....otherwise, get hydraulically inclined

The biggest reason not to put avids on your bike is because they are extremely heavy, around 375g for each caliper+rotor, add 200g for levers, and then at at LEAST 200g for teh full-length housing+cables that people run with them, you are easily up at 1150+g. You could get around 900g with many "regular" disc brake sets like hayes mags, hope mono minis, etc, and more like 800g or slightly less with the ones such as the hayes mag+, magura marta SL, formula b4 sl....
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth