mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Disc Brakes for Lightweights

Looking into purchasing a FS. Currently riding Specialized Stumpjumper w/V-Brakes. I weigh 125#. I think my V's work just fine. Is there a reason I should spend the extra $$$ for disc? I rode a friends bike w/discs and they are extremely powerful (maybe too powerful?).

Oh, riding style... I'm an intermediate XC rider with limited time (don't expect to be riding in Moab or Colorado until kid(s) are much bigger...

TIA.

Sue

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At that weight if the Vs work for you I would say stay. If you ride in wet conditions alot then that might make a difference and might make you want to switch.The discs will work better in the wet conditions. JJ

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmom
    Looking into purchasing a FS......... I think my V's work just fine. Is there a reason I should spend the extra $$$ for disc? I rode a friends bike w/discs and they are extremely powerful (maybe too powerful?).

The best time to get into disc brakes is when you're buying a new bike. If you're at all curious then, to me, it seems silly not to do it at that time. But on the other hand you said "I think my V's work just fine" so you have perfect reasoning to stay with Vs.

Vs would work fine for most of my riding too but I've had discs for about five years and I wouldn't switch back on a bet.

As for the "too powerful" comment - no xc disc brakes that I'm aware of (and I've owned and tested lots) are too poweful for xc riding. It's comforting to know you have enough brakes for any location and all conditions.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    While this might sound like an esoteric reason, I think your next bike should have discs because we are coming to a point in the industry where V brakes are an anachronism on a modern performance oriented bicycle. No one is developing any technology for V brakes, and forks are frames are shipping w/ only disc mounts in increasing numbers every year. By purchasing a V brake equipped high end bike right now, you run the risk of being caught down the line if you want to upgrade your fork or something. Also, don't be turned off by the supposedly low end product placement of the Shimano Deore hydro discs that are OE on so many bikes. They are much more effective and enjoyable to own that many other discs on the market. (cough, XTR, cough)

Graham
    Bike Shop Dork
    Santa Cruz, CA

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the replies everyone...

Sounds like good advice.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmom
    Thanks for the replies everyone...

Sounds like good advice.

Just one more thing Mom - the biggest PIA (pain in the arse) to upgrading to disc brakes after the fact is the hubs. Of course disc brakes need special disc hubs. The cost of the hubs and the wheel rebuild makes it not cost effective. It's much cheaper to go disc, or at least disc ready hubs, in the first place.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.