mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Disc Brakes Levers

I'm looking at getting a new bike, and the bike I'm looking at has Hayes Mechanical Disc brakes, but the levers are Tektro, and when I was testing the bike I found the levers to be a little scratchy and not as smooth as some others like Avids and my current Deore levers.

So I was thinking would it be possible to use my current Deore levers from my current ride on the new bike, the brakes on my current ride are linear pull brakes, they are next to new I'm just wondering if mechanical levers are designed any different for these types of brakes?

Freshly Fujified

You should be good to go

So long as the levers are not cantilever brake levers, then you should be able to use them with any mechanical disc brakes.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I knew there was a type of brake that was different, My brother got me this set when I switched from Cantilever to L-Brakes or Linear Pull (whatever you call them) it was a full deore set..

Just out of curiousity what would the difference be in the Cantilever levers? I remember something about the arc in which the cable was pulled, but I can't really remember

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Turt99
    I knew there was a type of brake that was different, My brother got me this set when I switched from Cantilever to L-Brakes or Linear Pull (whatever you call them) it was a full deore set..

Just out of curiousity what would the difference be in the Cantilever levers? I remember something about the arc in which the cable was pulled, but I can't really remember
    The amount of cable pulled by each degree of movement at the lever... don't ask if it's more or less but it's just different and make for a non-safe switch.
    Check my Site