MTB fo Life
    Jul 2004

are disc brakes good?

i have an 04' giant Rincon with stock V brakes. should I invest in disk brakes as an upgrade? I live in Southern Califronia with rain and muddy conditions about 3-4 months scattered out of the year... if I should go with disk....which do you guys recommend?

thanks

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by xcjay
    i have an 04' giant Rincon with stock V brakes. should I invest in disk brakes as an upgrade? I live in Southern Califronia with rain and muddy conditions about 3-4 months scattered out of the year... if I should go with disk....which do you guys recommend?

Of course disc brakes are good. If they weren't I wouldn't have spent hours putting together that FAQ in the top right for ya. Whether you should "go with disc" is really up to you. If you have issues with the stopping of v-brakes then you will benefit.

I won't recommend anything to you. Do lots of homework - check out disc brake systems here at Product Review ~ that's the reason mtbr existed in the first place. Check out "Disc Brake Systems". There is a hyperlink under my Disc Brake FAQ icon.

Make sure you check there on references to manufacturers' or distributors' warranties, helpfulness, communication etc - it makes a massive difference. Some you will be talking to immediately (e-addresses, 1-800 phone numbers) and they will do anything for you (MaguraUSA and FormulaUSA are two of the best) and some you can never contact.

Those two brakes even have secondary websites - my Magura Cult site and the Formula Owner's Group site (heck I'm the assistant manager there!) are there just to help you

Have fun!

Mike T. (mcm # 717, FOG)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member

Yip, good

Damn good, I recommend Shimano XT (four pot, though I think the new ones are pretty cool too). Hydraulic is good if you have the cash.