mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Which Disc Brakes are Better in muddy & wet conditions??

I ride with a set of Avid Juicy 3's, and 7's on my two bikes. In wet conditions the discs tend to rub the pads and drag horribly. A riding buddy had a set of LX disc hydros that were only slightly better.

The main problem seems to be when I ride through puddles or water filled culverts the water splashes up onto the caliper and disc with sand. My brakes grind while I'm riding for several minutes or longer.

Thanks,
    Matt

...idios...
    The pads aren't dragging on the rotor, it's the dirt that has stuck to the pads. Riding a short way with the brakes gently applied should obliterate an foreign objects.

Worst case scenario is that a larger piece of grit gets caught between the pad(s) and the caliper, in which case you'll need to stop and remove it before it causes you a real problem.

Some brakes will be 'worse' than others due to the space left between the pads when the pistons are relaxed. Hopes have a very small gap between the pads and rotor, so it's a pretty common sound. I would imagine that Shimano Servo-wave brakes will suffer the least as the design allow the pads to sit much further away from the rotor in the relaxed position.

Beyond a slightly unpleasant sound, it's not actually a performance problem.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler