Thread: Disc Brakes

mtbr member

Disc Brakes

I am looking to install disc brakes on my bike. I do not know a lot about cost and installment. I am not sure whether i want hydraulics or mechanical discs. How much does each cost to buy then to get installed. I would want lower end ones.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Is your frame, fork and hubs disc brake compatible ?

mtbr member
    not sure, how do I find out, or should i just go to the shop and ask

mtbr member
    If you know the make and model of your bike, we can easily find out for you if your bike/hub/fork are disc compatible. To find out for yourself, simply...

1) Look to see if the non-drive (left) side of the hubs have either 6 holes arranged in a hexagon centered on the axle or if there's a splined style adaptor for disc rotors.
    2) Look at the fork's left leg to see if there are 2 IS tabs or 2 post mounts, and
    3) Look at the left seat stay on the frame to see if there are 2 IS tabs.

If the answers to all the above are yes, then your bike is disc compatible; if the answers are no, then it can still be made disc compatible but your wallet will hurt more.

Even if your bike is disc compatible, it's a good idea to ask yourself why you would want to do this and if it's worth the time and cost. You might want more consistent braking, which is a fair reason. You might want better braking in the wet, which is also a fair reason. You might simply want the looks of a bike with disc rotors, which is a fair reason as well. Just make sure the cost-benefit analysis works out.

Assuming all you need are the brake calipers, mechanical discs such as Avid BB5s can be found on eBay in the $30 to $40 per axle range. Simply use your current brake levers and buy a new cable and cable housing. Buy a cable/housing cutter for $15 if you must, any household Dremel type tool will cut the housings nicely.

Again assuming all you need are the brakes, low end hydraulic discs such Avid Juicy 3s can be had for around $50 to $70 with the levers. You'll likely need a bleed kit to bleed the brakes once you've cut the hoses to the properly length; that'll be another $20 to $40 depending on the kit you buy.

Swapping discs for V-brakes can be done by anyone who is minimally mechanically inclined. Go to the bike shop only if you're not certain. You'll find plenty of help on the forum to help you, even step by step if need be.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    newbie here also. which type are better? mechanical or hydraulic? I can forsee some maintenance with the hydraulic brakes as corrosion and bleeding the brakes and they are more expensive so my guess is that they are better. am i correct?

mtbr member
    Mechanical brakes are much more forgiving when it comes to maintenance because they're so simple. Hydraulics give you a lot better stopping power with a lot less lever pressure, and if you get lucky, will be nearly maintenance free.

I think for most people that are just starting out mechanical brakes make more sense. Plus they work better than some low end hydraulics at a fraction of the cost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    Mechanical brakes are much more forgiving when it comes to maintenance because they're so simple. Hydraulics give you a lot better stopping power with a lot less lever pressure, and if you get lucky, will be nearly maintenance free.

I think for most people that are just starting out mechanical brakes make more sense. Plus they work better than some low end hydraulics at a fraction of the cost.
    good to know. thanks.

mtbr member
    Most mechanical brakes are really awkward and and annoying to set up other than Avid BB7. If you have the money get Shimano Deore M596 (hydraulic) or BB7 (mechanical). Cheaper than those stick with V-brakes.

mtbr member
    My options:
    -stay with my deore xt V brakes(they are pretty old)
    -get a set of disc brakes(costing less than $210 together)
    -get 1 disc brake(rear or front[if so, should i put it in the rear or front])

Bottom line:
    Is it worth getting disc breaks if I have deore xt V breaks already. My budget would be like $210. Would i definitely want to get the set or just the front or rear. I know that deore xt is high on the scale so would my Vbrakes be better than low end discs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakKneedOzzy View Post
    not sure, how do I find out, or should i just go to the shop and ask
    Only one disc. Put it on the front.
    Good info so far.
    Discs are much better in the wet.
    The Shimano M596 mentioned will be better that your V brakes.
    I have a bike with a Mullet. A disc on the front only.

Shimano Deore Disc Brake M596

Shimano XT Disc Rotor 6-Bolt RT75

Easy to find BB7 for $210 F & R with good levers and cables.

Mount a disc brake on the front. You will also need mounts. Mount a brake on the front. Save for the parts you still need to get complete brakes on the rear.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No v-brake will give you the quality stopping of discs, so it will be a step up regardless.

You could go for some Avid cable discs.....they have some serious stopping power and aren't really that expensive - especially as you have the levers from your v-brakes already.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Do you want disc brakes for your 1999 Jamis Dakar Pro ?

If so the frame doesn't look to have disc brake mounts on it and I doubt that you'd be able to attach rotors to the hubs either if they are the originals that came with it.

Just Ride
    I just picked up a set of BB7's last years model, for 130 with the spd 7 levers. No difference between the 11's and 12's other than about 20-30 bucks each side.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Do you want disc brakes for your 1999 Jamis Dakar Pro ?

If so the frame doesn't look to have disc brake mounts on it and I doubt that you'd be able to attach rotors to the hubs either if they are the originals that came with it.

yes, so would i not be able to have discs on it at all?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    You could easily attach a disc brake caliper to your fork but if your hubs aren't disc compatible you'd have to get a new front wheel with a disc compatible hub so a disc brake rotor can be attached.

Take a couple of photos of the non drive side rear triangle area of your bike and post them here so we can see if your frame has any disc brake mounts, I suspect that it might have the old Hayes 22mm mounts on it.

Huckin' trails
    Just to let you know, you can pick up 2 kit of BB7 and a pair of SD7 levers for $120 shipped from JensonUSA. Then a brake housing/cable kit from Jagwire for around $30 with Jenson too.

Run the cable with full housing and good flat housing end cut and you'll have a very nice mechanical disc brake setup. You'll gain experience and in a few years be able to decide if you're alright to stay with them or you'd like to get hydros.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I like my mechanical discs..I know people say you have to adjust them more, etc...to me that is no biggie...I enjoy working and tweaking my bike, just like I did my motocross bike for years..I don't look at a mtn bike like a street car...100,000 miles and don't touch..lol