Thread: Disc Brakes

mtbr member
    May 2009

Disc Brakes

Hello all. I recently purchased a 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin. So far I love the bike. So much better than my old Target Schwinn. Anyway, the reason I'm posting is I was thinking of upgrading to disc brakes sometime in the near future but I really have no idea if my bike is compatible with disc brakes. Can anyone help me out? Here's the bike I have.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/archive/model/222

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhop
    Hello all. I recently purchased a 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin....I was thinking of upgrading to disc brakes sometime in the near future but I really have no idea if my bike is compatible with disc brakes. Can anyone help me out?
    Looks like you can get a disk on the front but not the back. I would go with a mechanical disk BB7 or something close. Good luck and have fun!
    GapRider MTB
    aka Chuck Faulkner
    Tazewell TN 37879

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The frame should have disc tabs on it.

According to your link the bike came with disc brake hubs and separate shifter/brake units, so converting to disc should be fairly simple (in that you don't need new wheels, unless your link info doesn't match your bike, and changing brake levers if needed for hydraulics won't necessitate changing a shifter as well).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Nuts
    As long as the specs are right as far as the hubs go anyway, it would be no problem. Find yourself a nice set of bb7's cheap and you'll be golden.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm a little confused because when I go into "full specs" it shows 2 different sets of hubs, 2 different cassettes, 2 different shifters, 2 chains. Mine has the 8 speed cassette and Alivio shifters but I don't know about the hubs. Is there any way to tell just by looking at them? The frame does have some type of tabs in the back that I'm assuming are for disc brakes. I'm still pretty new to this so sorry about the beginner questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhop
    I'm a little confused because when I go into "full specs" it shows 2 different sets of hubs, 2 different cassettes, 2 different shifters, 2 chains. Mine has the 8 speed cassette and Alivio shifters but I don't know about the hubs. Is there any way to tell just by looking at them? The frame does have some type of tabs in the back that I'm assuming are for disc brakes. I'm still pretty new to this so sorry about the beginner questions.
    The hubs should have on the left side 6 bolt holes to mount the disc rotor.
    Why GF specs a bike both 8 speed and 9 speed I couldn't tell you.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique