Don't skid

Disc brake squeak

How do you stop disc brake squeak. I have Hayes mech if that matters. The pads look fine and I cleaned everything with alcohal (including my stomach, lol) but they squeak like a stuffed pig. Well technically stuff pigs squeal but I think you get the point. Should a just replace that pads and hope that works?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    How do you stop disc brake squeak. I have Hayes mech if that matters. The pads look fine and I cleaned everything with alcohal (including my stomach, lol) but they squeak like a stuffed pig. Well technically stuff pigs squeal but I think you get the point. Should a just replace that pads and hope that works?
    Squealing pads are usually a sign of contaminated pads or improper alignment of the caliper. Since there is no chance of getting brake fluid on mech brakes =), I would make sure that the pad engagement is as close to even as possible. Hayes mechs (at least all the ones I have seen) only have one active side to the brake, the rotor flexes a little bit each time you brake. Make sure that you adjust the brake so that you have as little flex in the rotor as possible when braking. Also check that the rotor is parallel with the pad surface.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Under heavy braking, any disc brake system is going to squeal. Try using fully metallic pads to cut it down. If there wet they squeal alot too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Squealing Brakes Blow and are Embarrasing

I had the same problem on my XT's a few weeks ago. went to Mammoth and the first run did the Kamikaze for a warmup. halfway down my rear was sqealing like mad and smelled like they were melting. squealed the rest of the trip including cross country light braking. got home and took some steel wool to my rotors...took out my pads and took a heavy duty wire brush to them to remove what looked like "glaze" and reinstalled them...careful not to get any fluids or even finger oils on them.(also took apart my calipers an cleaned the pistons up and changed and bled my fluid but i don't think that had anything to do with it). the next day ground up Romero and didn't hear a peep out of them all the way down or anything since. thought i was going to have to buy new pads but this fixed it
    Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Idea! don't mind me

oopps...i see squeek..not squeal...my bad. i'd check caliper alignment, rotor runout(trueness) and check to see if your pistons are retracting all the way(which caused some slight rubbing and intermitent squeeking). mine weren't and needed some cleaning up to retract properly