mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Disc brake setup, but using hardware from different companies?

I have XT disc hubs, w. the splined rotor interface.

I ahve not yet upgraded to disc, but will be shortly.

What are my options for completing the system?
    I'm pretty sure Shimano is the only company making those type of rotors, but can I use other brakes w/ these rotors w/ out issue?

I'd rather avoid having to do the full shimano apporach which requires me buying the calipers, then buying/cutting/installing hose, then buying the XT hydro levers.

I'm thinking of going Marta... input?

TIA!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You just need to look into getting an adapter to use on you Shimano center-lock hubs which allows you to run run center-lock rotors with those hubs. Problem Solvers makes one, and to my knowledge, Magura will have something for at least the Marta rotors to make the compatible with center-lock hubs to some way. I will know more after Interbike in a few weeks.

Frank

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yes, you can use Shimano rotors with other disc brakes. The rotor placement and diameters are standard. The thickness is pretty similar between manufacturers. Shimano rotors have a narrower brake track, but many people have reported no problems when used with non-Shimano calipers.

So, go ahead and get the centerlock rotors for your hubs and use Avid, Hayes, Hope or whatever else disc brakes. I think only the piston sizes need to match, so you have to match brake levers and calipers. Rotors of the same diameter are all interchangeable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    sweeeeet!

Thanks for the 411 guys!

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Galfer's new spline compatable rotors

[QUOTE=bubbrubb]I have XT disc hubs, w. the splined rotor interface.

I ahve not yet upgraded to disc, but will be shortly.

What are my options for completing the system?
    I'm pretty sure Shimano is the only company making those type of rotors, but can I use other brakes w/ these rotors w/ out issue?

I'd rather avoid having to do the full shimano apporach which requires me buying the calipers, then buying/cutting/installing hose, then buying the XT hydro levers.

I'm thinking of going Marta... input?

TIA![/QUOT
    Up until now, no one has made an aftermarket spline compatable replacement rotor. We will be debuting ours at Interbike in a few weeks. It will be available in 160mm, 185mm and 203mm and fully compatable with the shimano spline. We will have a saint compatable rotor in early spring.- And yes, both systems will use our patented "Wave" design" -Galfer USA

mtbr member
    Up until now, no one has made an aftermarket spline compatable replacement rotor. We will be debuting ours at Interbike in a few weeks. [/QUOTE]

I thought problem solvers has had an adapter available for a while now that allows you to use standard rotors on the shimano spline?

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Galfer new Spline compatable rotors

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Up until now, no one has made an aftermarket spline compatable replacement rotor. We will be debuting ours at Interbike in a few weeks.
    I thought problem solvers has had an adapter available for a while now that allows you to use standard rotors on the shimano spline?[/QUOTE]
    They have had the problem solvers available for about 2 months now and it is a great idea but it is an adapter rather than a dedicated upgrade replacement part. Plus it adds weight as compared to just the standard six bolt rotor by itself as opposed to our system which will be even lighter than the shimano while having superior braking and cooling charachteristics due to the "wave" design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by galferusa
    I thought problem solvers has had an adapter available for a while now that allows you to use standard rotors on the shimano spline?
    They have had the problem solvers available for about 2 months now and it is a great idea but it is an adapter rather than a dedicated upgrade replacement part. Plus it adds weight as compared to just the standard six bolt rotor by itself as opposed to our system which will be even lighter than the shimano while having superior braking and cooling charachteristics due to the "wave" design.[/QUOTE]

OK, you seem pretty knowledgeable so maybe you can answer a question for me. How come a wave design rotor offers superior braking and cooling? If this is the case how come it is only used in MTB, and not in MotoGP and F1?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    dont even let me start with F 1 ..thats a totally different kind of beast.. Wave rotors are somewhat used in Moto GP ... certainly in Super Motard Races. and extensively used in Offroad bikes.. where the mud shedding advantages are best utilized.

Brakemeister

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakemeister
    dont even let me start with F 1 ..thats a totally different kind of beast.. Wave rotors are somewhat used in Moto GP ... certainly in Super Motard Races. and extensively used in Offroad bikes.. where the mud shedding advantages are best utilized.

Brakemeister

So it is more for mud shedding then? That makes sense as F1 usually does not have a lot of shedding to be done.

I know F1 is a little different (understatement of the day)