mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Disc Brake Setup

Hey there Forums! I'm pretty new to the whole mountain biking scene...and just got a brand new Gary Fisher Marlin. I'm trying to find a good hydro disc brake setup for my bike, but I'm not sure what to look for. I'm not very familiar with the measurements and how to find a setup that will work with my hubs and forks. The bike has the option of disc brakes and comes with dart 3 rock shox and M65 hubs so everything is there to mount up discs. Any advice is appreciated
    THANKS

mtbr member
    I am going to go out on a limb here and ask why you want to upgrade the brakes on a brand new bike? Did you try the existing brakes and find something you were not happy with?

Another question I have is how much of your $$$ do we have to spend? You could economically change to a set of mechanical disks, using your existing levers, or spend more and go for a full on hydraulic system.

160mm rotors (and adaptors) would be appropriate.

If the bike has not yet been used you might be able to take it back to the lbs and get the upgrades at a discount?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've ridden the bike many times since I first got it brand new...so I'm used to the brake system that came on the bike stock...I'm not just out to modify a bike I've never ridden lol. But the stock brakes weren't disappointing...just somewhat lacking in certain areas...and from what I've heard thus far, a hydro set up is the best way to go for the best performance. I'm just quite insure of what will fit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Pretty much anything will fit the bike. Just make sure they are IS mount. The trick is finding something that fits your budget. IMO I wouldn't replace your stockers unless you have found a weakness. I know a LOT of peoplele that ride the BB5's and BB7's and are faster than me with hydros. I found that a good set of tires will make more of a difference.

That said, if you decide to get a set of hydros I like the Juicy 7's. I have a lot of long, steep descents. My first bike came with V brakes and I was melting pads so I put the J7's on and loved them. My next bike came with Juicy 3's and they weren't quite enough so I put a 185mm J7 on the front and I'm in heaven now. They can be found on ebay new for less than $180/set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Pretty much anything will fit the bike. Just make sure they are IS mount. The trick is finding something that fits your budget. IMO I wouldn't replace your stockers unless you have found a weakness. I know a LOT of peoplele that ride the BB5's and BB7's and are faster than me with hydros. I found that a good set of tires will make more of a difference.

That said, if you decide to get a set of hydros I like the Juicy 7's. I have a lot of long, steep descents. My first bike came with V brakes and I was melting pads so I put the J7's on and loved them. My next bike came with Juicy 3's and they weren't quite enough so I put a 185mm J7 on the front and I'm in heaven now. They can be found on ebay new for less than $180/set.

Meh.
    Dart 3 is Post Mount, not IS. And Avid brakes are all post mount calipers with IS adapters anyways.