mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Disc Brake Roulette!

I finally have decided to take the disc plunge. I am 200lb and ride x-counrty (Truth). I was thinking of the Juicy7, but the reviews sound scarry, shutter, squealing, etc. So I start to read about other brakes, Hope, Hays, etc. and from the reviews is sounds like I will just have to live with squeeling and high maintainence. My buddy has XT and they do get loud at times.

What is the truth hear? Afew bad apples who don't know how to set-up or do I peay I get a good pair?

- Wingman

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    I finally have decided to take the disc plunge. I am 200lb and ride x-counrty (Truth). I was thinking of the Juicy7, but the reviews sound scarry, shutter, squealing, etc. So I start to read about other brakes, Hope, Hays, etc. and from the reviews is sounds like I will just have to live with squeeling and high maintainence. My buddy has XT and they do get loud at times.

What is the truth hear? Afew bad apples who don't know how to set-up or do I peay I get a good pair?

- Wingman
    Wingman - I fully understand that saying anything complimentary on this website about any brakes other than Avid or Hope is asking for flames. Nevertheless, have you looked at Hayes and Shimano, because for us ordinary folks they ain't bad? Good luck. - Dave

A wheelist
    The truth is that you will find people that have had problems with ALL brakes on the market - and I just don't mean disc brakes. Some people have lots of problems, most, like me, never have any. Even some BIKES contribute to squeal - change the brake to a different bike and there is no more squeal.

So, it's somewhat of a crapshoot. Improve your chances by doing your homework and making sure that the brakes are installed, adjusted and bled to the n'th degree and the only way you'll be 100% sure of that is to become your own brakes' best expert.

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

LBS Manager

Marta's

I have a set of Marta's with wavy rotors and they are flawless 2 years old I purchased them used and they have never even been blead. they were also stored upside down for along time and no ill efect. They are light and maintenece free the only time they squeal is when they are wet but even v brakes do that.

mtbr member
    My XTs are working pretty well. They have good power and very very very good modulation. The Avid Juicy 7s have addressed the shutter problem with a new rotor design, and all disc brakes squeal to a certain extent.

There is really no bad product out there over $100 per end, so just try to find the best product within your weight category.

Ming

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have avid bb7 mechanicals and shimano XT 765 hydraulics. They are both great.

11 is one louder than 10

I had the stuttering problem with Juicy 7's

And I would STILL go with them over everything else right now hands down. I've owned Avid Mechanicals (still a GREAT brake and bargain). Magura Louise and Marta's, hayes, and the Juicy 7's.

Once bled properly (get the revised directions, and put some old pads and a spacer in them when bleeding), and once you get a good set of rotors (cures stuttering).

They flat out are GREAT working brakes. They feel great, modulate well, and the pad adjust works nice.

I had been praising the Hayes for their no-brainer maintenence (once bled, they stay bled), but the AVID's feel so much better.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Gun Shy No More

Thanks for the input. I seem to read the negative too much some times. I build all my own bikes and perform all maintanence and have not had any major problems. Glad to hear that the studder problem has been addressed on the juicys. Currently I am riding on a 5-6 year old pair of Avid Arch Supremes. They still work great, but as my downhills get faster with the full suspension I want more power.

- Wingman

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Mechanical v. Hydro?

I'm also looking at my first set of discs...

Mechanical v. Hydro?

What are the differences in: Ease of maintenance? Amount of maintenance? Weight? Stopping power? Durability?

And JHB's comment has got me a tad concerned because I currently hang my bike from one wheel (not much space). Do I need to not do that if I've got hydros? I'm also 200lb and XC.

Thanks.

- HT

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Juicys work well

I've worked through the misc vibration and shuddering issues with my Juicy's and now are running great. Excellent brakes once properly adjusted.

If people are having problems with vibration, it's likely due to misalignment of the caliper. Avid's CPS system can take care of fine alignment issues, but gross alignment should still be done by hand. The other thing to check for are sticky pistons. Make sure both pistons are retracting simulataneously.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Gravity Rides Everything
    hayes is reliable. not the best feel or lever ergonomics. but they work, and they're pretty quiet too. the HFX9's can be a ***** to bleed.... but once you get the hang of it.

shimano brakes from what i understand are pretty flawless.

my own personal search for perfect brakes led me to hope mono m4's

they're expensive, and they're worth it.

mtbr member

Hayes Mags - my personal faves

I've been happy with 2 sets of Hayes Mags. They are easy to bleed and simple to adjust. Not the lightest on the market, but they are reliable as all getout. I also have a set of the Juicys and have had the vibration and howling issues, but SRAM and the shop that I ordered them from have a new set of rotors on the way. Jury is still out on the Juicys. Two years of heavy riding and abuse and the Mags are still performing. They get my vote.

Good luck,

MTBmoose
    Spokane, WA

- Wingman

NEWB
    I've had good luck with Hayes Mags (8"/6") on my bullit as a 200# rider and they eat up water, mud, gravel, you name it.

Once I learned to properly bleed them, it's been gravy. For my first bleed job I used up a pretty substantial DOT 5.1 bottle and got more or less no where

I do have to tweak them ever so slightly maybe every other ride to prevent rub. I think it's me. I kinda went ghetto on the fasteners after using a standard allen wrench to tighten the original metric bolts. Months and dozens of adjustments later, I'm thinking I have the wrong shims installed or something as my bat-cave silent perfectly adjusted brakes will develop a slight squeal (like clockwork) on about mile 2 of any XC/downhill. Usually thats just mud. But sometimes it ain't mud

Reviewer/Tester
    Apart from one instance of sticking pads on the rear disc, which was fixed by cleaning and regreasing the caliper pistons, my Hayes nines on the VT have been absolutely reliable for over a year now.

No squeel, rubbing or other problems, and they stop me like I hit a brick wall..

R.