mtbr member
    Mar 2004

disc brake for road use - mini, marta, juicy...

Which disc brakes should I get?

I've got a new warranty replacement disc-only cannondale hardtail frame on the way, and now have an "excuse" to upgrade to disc brakes. This bike is ridden on the road 10 times a week (commuting to/from work), all year round. Even though it is a bit of a workhorse bike, I'd still like to keep it as light as possible - I like to put the best parts on my bike. Given the frequent use that the bike gets, low maintenance is much preferred + decent pad life. Power does not have to be extreme, but should at least match the dry weather power of a pair of well adjusted V-brakes. Overheating is not an issue. I need well-modulated sudden stopping ability - eg. for those numerous car-pulling-out-in-front-of-you situations. With a loaded backpack, I'd weigh about 170lbs.

What are my best options?

Mono Mini: probably a 160/140 setup. From all the hope brakes I've owned (M4, old minis, mono M4, mono mini - rear only for the mono mini though), I've been very happy with the modulation, pad wear and zero maintenance required. Is it worth getting the new 2 piece rotors? Or are those problematic and just for show? I've been a loyal hope user, but am considering a change, maybe just for the sake of change though...

Marta: they certainly look good, but what about mainenance and pad wear? I don't want to be bleeding them all the time. Any comments on this?

Juicy: I've seen Juicy 5's for under $100, which is pretty cheap. Do they measure up to the other brakes though? Do they come with round rotors? I've heard some bad stories about the wavy rotors and shuddering. Otherwise they sound quite good.

If anyone has time of these brakes, or have some other suggestions, your comments are welcome.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Drops and Avid road discs...

When you said you were road riding a lot, you got me thinking about drop bars and STI controls. Match those to some road bike specific Avid Mechanicals (They operate with less cable pull). Then go Tri with some arm rests and route those in-line brake levers out on the ends where your hands will be, or on the inner bar for that "up right," casual riding position.

Just be sure to color-cordinate your brake cable housine. Branford Bike sells French Le Toure housing in all colors of the rainbow. It has a slick plastic lining.