neutiquam erro

Disc Brake Pad Questions...

I've done a search, but haven't found much of a coherent consensus, so here goes...

I'm looking to replace the pads on a BB7 setup that just recently developed a squeal (and yes, I have exhaustively checked & re-checked ALL the usual suspects), so I am next going to try new pads. I don't think the ones I have are contaminated, but I'm out of ideas.

So, I'll sand the rotors a bit and make sure they are clean and purty, but...

What pads do you all like for BB7s? "Stock" Avids? Kool-Stop? Galfer?

Can someone please give me a caveman-simple explanation of the metal vs organic dilemma, and what to consider when making that choice?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Chris
    Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.
    '05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    I've done a search, but haven't found much of a coherent consensus, so here goes...

I'm looking to replace the pads on a BB7 setup that just recently developed a squeal (and yes, I have exhaustively checked & re-checked ALL the usual suspects), so I am next going to try new pads. I don't think the ones I have are contaminated, but I'm out of ideas.

So, I'll sand the rotors a bit and make sure they are clean and purty, but...

What pads do you all like for BB7s? "Stock" Avids? Kool-Stop? Galfer?

Can someone please give me a caveman-simple explanation of the metal vs organic dilemma, and what to consider when making that choice?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Chris
    I use Galfer or EBC Gold pads with Galfer or round Avid rotors. Squeal is minimal and rare. There is no way to guarantee any disc setup will never howl. I have had my brakes be totally quiet for weeks, suddenly start howling during a ride, then go silent again a ride or two later. All without doing anything to them.

Note that any time you change the pad brand/compound it is best to completely clean the old compound off the rotors. This can only be done well with 800 grit emery paper, LOTS of water and a fair amount of time.

BTW I get the longest pad life and best overall performance with the Galfer pad and rotor combo.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

neutiquam erro
    Shiggy,

Thanks - I have now been looking over a bunch of old threads on Galfer - they definitely sound like the way to go! Not cheap, but the reviews are good from folks on here I respect.

Out of curiosity, do you sand the new pads (Galfer) before you put them in? I know that helped with stock Avid pads, but am not sure that's always a wise general rule...

Wave rotors and Galfer pads, here I come!

Cheers, Chris

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Shiggy,

Thanks - I have now been looking over a bunch of old threads on Galfer - they definitely sound like the way to go! Not cheap, but the reviews are good from folks on here I respect.
    They're only $15 at pricepoint.

neutiquam erro
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti
    They're only $15 at pricepoint.
    My bad, I should've been more specific; I was talking about the rotors with that comment. However, after doing some comparison shopping, I'll say the rotors really aren't that expensive either. Gotta pay to play!

Cheers, Chris

Shiggy,

Out of curiosity, do you sand the new pads (Galfer) before you put them in? I know that helped with stock Avid pads, but am not sure that's always a wise general rule...

Wave rotors and Galfer pads, here I come!

Cheers, Chris
    I never sand pads or new rotors. Install and ride 'em. Once a pad/rotor beds in, new pads (of the same compound) bed in very quickly.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I never sand pads or new rotors. Install and ride 'em. Once a pad/rotor beds in, new pads (of the same compound) bed in very quickly.
    I agree, I see no need for emery paper. a coarse sponge pad and some soap aand water followed by some rubbing alcohol would remove any contaminants from a rotor in my opinion.

Rider of the Faith
    I hear some people set their pads on fire when they get contaminated. What`s up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by timms
    I agree, I see no need for emery paper. a coarse sponge pad and some soap aand water followed by some rubbing alcohol would remove any contaminants from a rotor in my opinion.
    I do nothing but wipe down the rotor with alcohol. Rarely ever do anything to the surfaces after that unless I change pad compounds.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I contaminated my pads with mineral, about 30 seconds over my gas stove fixed em right up, It removes the contaminants.

@Shiggy, I hear ya, I've only used alcohol as well. But soap and water can't hurt.