Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    neutiquam erro
    Reputation: Chris130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Disc Brake Pad Questions...

    I've done a search, but haven't found much of a coherent consensus, so here goes...

    I'm looking to replace the pads on a BB7 setup that just recently developed a squeal (and yes, I have exhaustively checked & re-checked ALL the usual suspects), so I am next going to try new pads. I don't think the ones I have are contaminated, but I'm out of ideas.

    So, I'll sand the rotors a bit and make sure they are clean and purty, but...

    What pads do you all like for BB7s? "Stock" Avids? Kool-Stop? Galfer?

    Can someone please give me a caveman-simple explanation of the metal vs organic dilemma, and what to consider when making that choice?

    Thanks in advance!

    Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    I've done a search, but haven't found much of a coherent consensus, so here goes...

    I'm looking to replace the pads on a BB7 setup that just recently developed a squeal (and yes, I have exhaustively checked & re-checked ALL the usual suspects), so I am next going to try new pads. I don't think the ones I have are contaminated, but I'm out of ideas.

    So, I'll sand the rotors a bit and make sure they are clean and purty, but...

    What pads do you all like for BB7s? "Stock" Avids? Kool-Stop? Galfer?

    Can someone please give me a caveman-simple explanation of the metal vs organic dilemma, and what to consider when making that choice?

    Thanks in advance!

    Cheers, Chris
    I use Galfer or EBC Gold pads with Galfer or round Avid rotors. Squeal is minimal and rare. There is no way to guarantee any disc setup will never howl. I have had my brakes be totally quiet for weeks, suddenly start howling during a ride, then go silent again a ride or two later. All without doing anything to them.

    Note that any time you change the pad brand/compound it is best to completely clean the old compound off the rotors. This can only be done well with 800 grit emery paper, LOTS of water and a fair amount of time.

    BTW I get the longest pad life and best overall performance with the Galfer pad and rotor combo.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    neutiquam erro
    Reputation: Chris130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,111
    Shiggy,

    Thanks - I have now been looking over a bunch of old threads on Galfer - they definitely sound like the way to go! Not cheap, but the reviews are good from folks on here I respect.

    Out of curiosity, do you sand the new pads (Galfer) before you put them in? I know that helped with stock Avid pads, but am not sure that's always a wise general rule...

    Wave rotors and Galfer pads, here I come!

    Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

  4. #4
    Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Reputation: Cobretti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    Shiggy,

    Thanks - I have now been looking over a bunch of old threads on Galfer - they definitely sound like the way to go! Not cheap, but the reviews are good from folks on here I respect.
    They're only $15 at pricepoint.

  5. #5
    neutiquam erro
    Reputation: Chris130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti
    They're only $15 at pricepoint.
    My bad, I should've been more specific; I was talking about the rotors with that comment. However, after doing some comparison shopping, I'll say the rotors really aren't that expensive either. Gotta pay to play!

    Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    Shiggy,

    Thanks - I have now been looking over a bunch of old threads on Galfer - they definitely sound like the way to go! Not cheap, but the reviews are good from folks on here I respect.

    Out of curiosity, do you sand the new pads (Galfer) before you put them in? I know that helped with stock Avid pads, but am not sure that's always a wise general rule...

    Wave rotors and Galfer pads, here I come!

    Cheers, Chris
    I never sand pads or new rotors. Install and ride 'em. Once a pad/rotor beds in, new pads (of the same compound) bed in very quickly.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I never sand pads or new rotors. Install and ride 'em. Once a pad/rotor beds in, new pads (of the same compound) bed in very quickly.
    I agree, I see no need for emery paper. a coarse sponge pad and some soap aand water followed by some rubbing alcohol would remove any contaminants from a rotor in my opinion.

  8. #8
    Rider of the Faith
    Reputation: Musashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    155
    I hear some people set their pads on fire when they get contaminated. What`s up with that?

  9. #9
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,135
    Quote Originally Posted by timms
    I agree, I see no need for emery paper. a coarse sponge pad and some soap aand water followed by some rubbing alcohol would remove any contaminants from a rotor in my opinion.
    I do nothing but wipe down the rotor with alcohol. Rarely ever do anything to the surfaces after that unless I change pad compounds.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    592
    I contaminated my pads with mineral, about 30 seconds over my gas stove fixed em right up, It removes the contaminants.

    @Shiggy, I hear ya, I've only used alcohol as well. But soap and water can't hurt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •