mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Disc brake on a non-disc brake frame?

Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to run a disc brake on a non-brake frame? If so what would I need, besides the obvious? Thank you for your time!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, it may be possible.

They make frame adapters that may fit your bike.

You would also need a disc compatible rear hub and possibly some adapter to fit the brake caliper to the frame adapter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Are the frame adapters pretty common? If so what are they called exactly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I haven't seen any adapters in person, but I do know two people locally who have converted steel frames to disc by just buying the mount and having it welded to the stay. You should also weld a brace into the stays to make an extra triangle back there and reinforce the tubing that way. One used a piece of brake rotor and the other used tubing...both are holding up just fine. Depends on the frame, but some steel frames use thinner tubing that isn't up to the stresses that discs will put on it....welding that reinforcement helps. If you have an aluminum frame, I'd just shop for a new frame instead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ericknguyen95128
    Are the frame adapters pretty common? If so what are they called exactly?
    I wouldn't say common, I've only seen one person using one.

Here is one, scroll down and it's on the far left.

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html

One company that sells them is called A2Z.......but again, it's dependent on your frame.
    Do you have a pic?

On an older frame w/o disc brake mounts, I would just mount one on the front and use whatever you have now on the rear. Frame adapters and welding a mount are too much hassle for little benefit IMO.

Live 2 Ride
    Brake Therapy used to make adapter. Not sure if they still do.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Front brake only is fine

Experienced riders know that the rear brake has a minimal benefit in terms o stopping power. All it does is lock up the rear wheel, which can be done effectively by a V brake.
    The difference in braking power and feel is something that you will adapt to quickly if you have skills and never if you don't.
    Good Luck.
    My goal is to get a new fork for my cross bike with disc mounts and a
    mechanical brake.

Live 2 Ride
    Yeah but having a disc in the rear means the added benefits of stopping in the rain and mud and not having to worry as much about a true rim.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Former Bike Wrench
    How about some pertinent information...what kind of frame (make, model, year) is it? I ask because Trek/Gary Fisher/Klein frames from the early to mid 00's used an adapter to run disc brakes on many of their frames.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I am not sure what year it's from its an older VooDoo full suspension frame. I know that disc brakes aren't necessarily better than v-brakes, but I already have the items necessary to convert it over. If needed I can have pictures up in a few days.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Hey ericknguyen95128,

You may want to check this thread out: Rear disk brake adapter. There is some pretty good info for running rear disc brakes on a frame that doesn't have mounts. Also I've used the A2Z Adapter mentioned above and it worked but it has some limitations (see my posts in the above mentioned thread).
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pics please.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just got the bike its a Voodoo Canzo esp. It seems as though all the methods you guys have posted won't work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc brake on a non-disc brake frame?-0329000431.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    this is a full suspension single speed????

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah its a full suspension, and I am switching it over to single speed....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Erick, Eric, Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericknguyen95128
    I am not sure what year it's from its an older VooDoo full suspension frame. I know that disc brakes aren't necessarily better than v-brakes, but I already have the items necessary to convert it over. If needed I can have pictures up in a few days.
    Disc Brakes are necessarily better than v-brakes. V-brakes are a Hugo and Disc brakes are the Ferrari. There is no debate. It is not even close. The weight may even be less on some disc brakes. This is the reason that you are changing your brakes.
    Cheers!