Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Disc Brake Noise -- Rotor Rubbing

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Haroow 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just had my LBS put a set of Avid Mechanical CPS (BB7) Disc brakes and Mavic Crossland wheelset on my '04 Trek Fuel 90. The LBS has adjusted my rear caliper twice within the past couple of weeks, becuase I kept hearing a slight rubbing of the rotor in the back. The rubbing was not hampering performance, it just alarmed me since I am new to disc brakes. The LBS said it is common for disc brakes to rub against the rotor slightly as long as it does not handicap the performance and there isn't much you can do about it.

I am just wanting second opinions (paranoia!!!)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
carl spackler said:
Hello,

I just had my LBS put a set of Avid Mechanical CPS (BB7) Disc brakes and Mavic Crossland wheelset on my '04 Trek Fuel 90. The LBS has adjusted my rear caliper twice within the past couple of weeks, becuase I kept hearing a slight rubbing of the rotor in the back. The rubbing was not hampering performance, it just alarmed me since I am new to disc brakes. The LBS said it is common for disc brakes to rub against the rotor slightly as long as it does not handicap the performance and there isn't much you can do about it.

I am just wanting second opinions (paranoia!!!)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Spackle, 6- or 7 in rotors? are they whining like metal on metal? or are pads contacting the rotor before application.

I have found 7's will rub the caliber body or rub the pad.(tend to be flexy)..Either a ding ding ding or whup whup whup...

6's should not do a thing unless the caliper is misaligned. Is there 2/3 offset that runs front to back on the rotor and caliper body...as described in your manual...if no manual download it from AVID .

if not adjust the in board and out board nob till it is.Remeber to loosen the attachment bolts. rememebr that the out pad pushes into the in pad. Hence more in board pad needs to be out in final setup...

now if your talkin when you hit the brakes and hear a whir hup hup.....it sounds cool when it does it that is a properly align setup and the hup sound is the (IMO) the air trapped in the slots on the rotor as it passes the pad.

Other have ideas too...get em setup and you will love disk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.