1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005

Disc brake mounting question and help needed.

Here is my situation.

I have a pair of the Manitou Black Elite 100/120mm travel fork. The brakes are older XT (about 2-3 years old). The bracket that I was given with the brakes is for a 170mm rotor.

The Manitou's have a post style disc mount that is 74mm center to center and the brake caliper has a 51mm center to center bolt pattern.

What I was told when I got the forks was that I should be running a 170mm rotor and that is what was ordered.

Now when I had these wheels set up on my SS with Pace forks, the 160mm worked perfectly as I had the IS mounts on that fork. Now that I have swithced over to V-brakes on my SS and WW builds, I thought it would be nice to give the wife my old wheels. Mavic 717/XT hubs and XT splinelock rotors.

I am thinking that I am stuck with the 170mm rotors due to the fact that the forks are 74mm post mount and the brake calipers are 51mm IS.

Is this information correct or is it possible to get a bracket to run 160mm rotors?

more beers, lees gears.
    my wife has the same fork, cheaper avid bb5 brakes, with the 170mm rotor. I dont think there is a way to do what you want.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    I think that I will just buy new calipers for the bike. I think that I can get the M765 calipers that are post mount on Ebay pretty cheap and then just run the 160mm rotors. The older XT brake levers should work as they are Shimano.

So I will just get the BR-M765 front and back calipers (complete with 160mm mounting bracket for the back) and just go with that.

A lot easier to deal with and I do not have to go out and buy new caliper, mounting brackets and it will look a lot more stock that what I was going to do.

KISS principle works best most days.