SPQR

disc brake issues and my quick nuts

I installed quick nuts on both my bikes that are set up with BB7s, I no longer have to re adjust rotor to prevent rubbing ect. how many problems can be attributed to QR not being adjusted properly every ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Actually...

quite a few. And it's not necessarily that the QR isn't adjusted "properly". The QR can be adjusted perfectly and you can still have problems. The reason being is the qr has to be placed in the exact same position every time, and the same amount of closing force used each time. If not it can cause slight missalignment of the rotors as the differences in position and clamping force can cause the wheel to sit slightly different in the drop outs. The problem can be over come by developing a system for installing qr wheels. I've done it and don't have problems with remounting my wheels with disc brakes. But it is certain that bolt on hubs, 15 and 20mm TA hubs, and other systems like the DT RWS scewers, and things like the "quick nuts" do make it much easier.

Glad you found a solution that works for you.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

SPQR
    I completely agree, the quick nuts jsut make it less of a hassle for me.

Picture Unrelated
    Quick nuts aren't going to solve your problems with BB7s. All this QR exact tightness stuff is blown out of proportion, it's a non-issue if you actually know how to work with your equipment.

You're still going to need to constantly adjust for pad wear, so quick nuts really aren't going to help you. Perhaps you'll feel more secure with your wheel tightness, but if you know how to center a wheel when you tighten your QR, then you'll never have a brake problem.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?