mtbr member
    Jul 2006

disc brake hiss?

HI, I never had disc brakes before and just purchased a specialized comp disc. I have been riding for years without disc's. On the new bike I noticed that disc brakes are making a hissing sound at about 10mph or more. Is this a normal sound that disc brakes make? Thanks for your help

MTB B'dos
    Sounds like maybe your discs need adjusting, take it back to the shop and have them check and adjust them for you.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

I wear two thongs
    Agreed with Lynxs sounds like you have some slight rotor drag and it gets louder as the speed increases, all it needs is a quick adjustment your LBS should do it for free since you just bought the bike from them.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Are they making the hiss only when you are braking? Mine make a kind of hissing sound while braking, and I think that is normal.
    Hiking and biking to get away from man's madness and enjoy God's creation for a bit.

-Dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    no, they start to hiss a little bit around 10mph when not braking. They brakes themsleves work great but it seem like there is to much friction when not braking.

New but learning
    Jul 2006
    If they're mechanical discs, you may just have to back off the brake cable a bit to loosen the grip on the disc. On my Hayes MX2 brakes, any adjustments are a easy as loosening the bolt, adjusting the cable as needed, and tightening it up again.