mtbr member

Disc brake / front only

I currently ride a TREK 8000 hardtail with rim brakes.I notice the rim brakes are doing a job on the rim braking surface. Only the front fork has disc brake tabs. Would it be practical to install an Avid BB7 on the front only? Rims are disc ready.
    Would the brake feel be too different between front and rear?
    Or just wait until the rims wear out and pick up a new set?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I haven't tried it yet (maybe I will in the next time), but I think in most cases there shouldn't be a big problem with it. (Locking up the rear wheel shouldn't be much of a problem with good rim brakes, and every bit more of braking power will have not much of an effect here.)

But there are just two more things:
    What I'd expect from a bike with rim brakes is that it has none-disc-hubs.
    So if that is the case for your bike, it would probably be easiest to buy a new wheel(set) for disc brakes and use on your old one until worn down (or just keep it if you have any trouble)

At last, I don't know your Trek 8000, but are you sure there is no possibility to install a rear disc brake? I think there should be mounts for a Trek specific adaptor or something.
    (But I think you wouldn't really need a rear disc brake either.)

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Welcome to mtbr!

There is no problem in using the so-called "mullet" setup...disc front, V rear... you best bet is to go with a mechanical front disc brake, that way you can use your current lever and you can get a similar feeling on both levers.....

Again, just make sure your hubs are indeed disc ready..... what model year is that 8000?? if it is not too old, it hay have the holes for the trek disc adapter (black part between the frame and the caliper in the pic below).. If it is so, you can check this thread for the part number, etc. disc brakes for my sugar?

Last edited by crisillo; 02-04-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Fat, but working on it...
    I have ridden my bike set up just like you are talking about. No ill effects whatsoever. Most of your stopping power comes from the front brake, so it will definitely improve your stopping. A hydraulic will provide the most power, but is more expensive and harder to set up. A mechanical disc will mate to your current brake lever and you should be good to go. A mechanical disc will provide more stopping power than any rim brake anyways.
    Nothing to see here. Move along...

bi-winning
    Avids are very adjustable. You can dial the pads closer to or further from the rotor to adjust the breaking feel.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Going for a ride......
    And that way at least you will have 1 fully functional and powerful brake regardless of the conditions (rain, mud etc).

There is nothing wrong with that set up.
    energetix

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by energetix
    There is nothing wrong with that set up.
    There must be something "wrong" with it or every bike would come that way. To save me repeating myself, go to the Disc Brake FAQ and read all the benefits of disc brakes.

With a hybrid setup NONE of the benefits apply to half your braking system.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Oh yeah, let's start another discussion about whether disc brakes or rim brakes are better

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    Can I have a front disc brake and a rim brake on the rear?

Many people have no rear disc brake mount but have disc tabs on their fork. Yes it's better to have a front disc brake than none at all. And really, the front is the best place to have a disc, or more powerful brake. As weight is transferred forward under braking, the front wheel does about 70% of the work of stopping the bike.

There are many bikes, even some factory bikes, that have a disc brake on the front and a rim brake on the rear. But then you must realize that all the good reasons for having a disc brake will not apply to of your braking system. But it's better to have some benefits of disc brakes than none.
    One could also notice that this solution saves weight and costs, which might be an issue as well, depending on inidivudal needs. (There also may be conditions in which you wouldn't want to miss a rear disc brake of course..)

just like a speeder-bike

go for it

I switched my 2002 GF Hoo Koo e Koo (singlespeed) to front disc, only -- thinking I'd leave it that way. That set up really did give me all the stopping power I needed. But man, that Avid BB7 I put up front felt so nice... I couldn't resist converting the rear, too, after saving up for the parts many months later. (I had to use a "disco adapter" as shown in the Trek picture, above -- worked great.)

I don't think any difference in "feel" was so horrible when I was running front-disc only. And yes, w/ Avid & their speed-dial levers you can really fine-tune the brake feel and minimize any difference. But be warned: you may like that front disc so much, that you'll start obsessing (Gee, what if I had a rear disc, too? Wouldn't that be neat?)

By all means, add a front disc brake! You'll gain most of the disc-break benefits right there. Just wanted to warn you about the high likelihood for 'upgradeitis' from making this change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Now you've scared me

(That was supposed to be an answer to #9 / Barkdog. Is "quoting" and then removing the quote the only way to respond to a particular post?)
    Last edited by diga; 02-05-2007 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member

front disc's

Thanks for all your input. I stopped by my LBS and picked up a disc-o. I'll be installing
    BB7's on front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Will you buy a new wheelset too?

mtbr member
    My winter wheels that I keep my studded Nokians mounted on, are disc ready. My other wheels are not,but are pretty worn anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    There must be something "wrong" with it or every bike would come that way.
    More than one way to skin a cat... just because it's not factory setting doesn't mean it's no good. There's NOTHING wrong with having disc at the front and rim brake at the back. Bikes come with uniform brakes the way they do on the sales floor because of standardisation in assembly and supply of parts - economy, nothing much to do with function.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    With a hybrid setup NONE of the benefits apply to half your braking system.
    However, you do get ALL of the benefits of disc brakes on HALF your braking system.

But that's just semantics. Of course no disc brake benefit will apply to a rim brake setup in the rear. This does not mean that you DON'T get the benefit of disc brakes in your front wheel disc brake.