mtbr member
    Mar 2004

disc brake diagnosis needed

This weekend I was on a ride and grabbed my rear brake only to just keep moving. I have Hayes So1e brakes (i know they are bad but they came on the bike and have worked thus far) whcih are my first entry into the disc brake world. Something similar has happened in the past and I tightened something in the caliper that seemed to alleviate it. When I tried it this time, I had tightened it as much as I could and it seemed to help it for awhile but I feel like it will get worse again.

When I pull on the lever it looks like the pad is not engaging the rotor and its more like the rotor is being pushed towards the hub. Do I need new pads? need to adjust something? I am completely in the dark.

checked the brake forum but didnt see anything related to this issue

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    sounds like the caliper is out of alaignment

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=126

Meh.
    Most of the So1e calipers are not post mount.

The So1e does not have self-adjusting pistons. You use a 5mm allen wrench to adjust both pistons closer or further from the rotor. Assuming that the pads haven't fallen out, you may just need to adjust for wear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So, I have been adjusting the pistons to be closer to the rotor but now it is tightened as much as possible. Is there any other adjustment area? should I try new pads?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Okay. So, I purchased new pads. Installed them and the same thing is happening. Basically, the pad that is what they call the inner pad seems to be stuck and wont engage to the rotor. I took it off and re-installed several times but nothing seems to work. It seems like it moves freely until I tighten down with the wrench and then it just locks up. Is there something with the magnet? Does it need to be re-bled?