mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Disc Brake Covers - Shield against rain/mud

Has anyone seen these in the market?

WHERE CAN I BUY THEM?

I've been searching online thoroughly without any sign of such a product... except for this:

http://tandem-fahren.de/Mitglieder/Christoph_Timm/disk_protector.jpg

That picture came from this page:
    http://tandem-fahren.de/Mitglieder/C...m/DiskFAQ.html

The page looks like it hasn't been updated since 2002, and the guys' email doesn't work.

Is that an old product?

Are there concerns of over-heating and is that why it's not on the market?

There's certainly a ton of patents. You'd think someone out there would be making and selling them.

I want them to keep rain off my disc brakes when I ride, so I don't make the huge squeeling noise when riding in the rain. Very embarassing in the city =). I ride only max 30 mins at a time, with little braking... so I don't have a concern of overheating.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    try organic pads, I have never seen what you are searching for, unless maybe you could mod a moto disk brake sheild? Organic pads are quieter, and should be what your looking for.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It's all about pads and rotors when it comes to squealing...

Just a flesh wound

It would break...

That flimsy bit of plastic would snap in half or more on the first ride. If it didn't, it would be the ultimate dirt and mud trap.

Organic pads are quiet. I ride in the mud strewn woods of New England. But for short city rides you might want to .. get v-brakes.

Live Free or Ride!
    Definately organic pads, and give your rotors a good cleaning with some degreaser or iso-propyl.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

TLL
    mtbr member
    Hahahah. That is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Squealing has little to do with how wet your pads get. Try facing your pads, changing pad types, checking bushing for play, etc . . . there are any number of things that could be causing squeal.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've been on the lookout for something similar, but to keep the mud out.

The good old UK grinding paste makes it very expensive riding in terms of pads. sometimes I get through a set of organics in one ride, sintered in two!

The guy next door has them on his off road motorbikes, and I've been looking for a mtb version for ages.

I'm not concerned about them getting too hot, there's not much downhill here and the ambient temp is pretty low.

Anyway, I'd rather have hot brakes half way down the hill than no brakes!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cablestein
    Has anyone seen these in the market?

WHERE CAN I BUY THEM?

I've been searching online thoroughly without any sign of such a product... except for this:

http://tandem-fahren.de/Mitglieder/Christoph_Timm/disk_protector.jpg

That picture came from this page:
    http://tandem-fahren.de/Mitglieder/C...m/DiskFAQ.html

The page looks like it hasn't been updated since 2002, and the guys' email doesn't work.

Is that an old product?

Are there concerns of over-heating and is that why it's not on the market?

There's certainly a ton of patents. You'd think someone out there would be making and selling them.

I want them to keep rain off my disc brakes when I ride, so I don't make the huge squeeling noise when riding in the rain. Very embarassing in the city =). I ride only max 30 mins at a time, with little braking... so I don't have a concern of overheating.
    My understanding of the moto disc protectors is they prevent damage from flying rocks and such. They do not keep the brake clean or dry.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    EBC Green pads, no one knows what they sound like. They lasted exactly one muddy pacific-northwest winter.

mtbr member
    THE used to make one, but apparently don't anymore... Fahn

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That product sucks....that's why they're out of business.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    brakes make noise sometimes even when there wet,stay away from the junk my friend and try to be smoother by not useing brakes as much to work help with form.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteStew
    The good old UK grinding paste makes it very expensive riding in terms of pads. sometimes I get through a set of organics in one ride, sintered in two!
    Only 2 rides from a set of sintered pads! Have you bed them in properly? If you haven't, that's why they don't last.
    In very similar conditions here in Ireland, I've so far gotten over 400miles from a set of sintered pads riding through all kinds of stuff in all weather - mostly wet

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't get through pads that quick all the time, just when conditions are particularly bad.

Sloshy mud gets splashed everywhere including all over the rotors, this acts as a rather efficient sand paper you can hear it grinding away the pads.

The only solution I have at the moment is to back off the pads to leave a nice big gap between them and the rotor (BB7s with roundagon rotors). This of course means i have slippery muddy hands from the backing off process, and little in the way of braking power before the levers hit the bars.

Perhaps a different rotor would do the trick at removing mud, the roundagons have a large surface area that just seems to hold it in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maybe the Avid G2 rotor might be a better bet than the Roundagon (if they'll fit, I'm not too sure on compatability) as they're more open. They are saucy to buy (check out CRC).
    Although the conditions I ride in aren't quite as bad as that, I've been through "puddles" similar to those on the right of your pic that are 20-24" deep and I get a lot of grinding from the brakes but the pads definitely survive longer than the 1/2 outings. I'm using XT brakes on one bike and Juicy 7s on another. How much of your ride would those conditions cover?
    Maybe someone will have other suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been searching for a similar product for ages, I ride about 30km. per day and come across 3 or 4 construction sites, where a wet substance of mud,sand and water provides a perfect sanding for the whole bike, the rearbrake in specific. the rearwheel does catch a lot of dirt (as do both of the derailleurs and chain), the front brake is never an issue. In theory the brake would not overheat while riding in the city and you could almost seal it off completely from the outside.
    I tried my v-brakes on the rear today as my new ceramic pads were out of stock at my lbs and they lost about half of their thickness in two rides and produced all kinds of grey crap on the rim, so that's definitely out of the question.
    Maybe just better fenders (is that the correct term for a bike??) would do the trick in catching the mud flying from the wheels.
    For tomorrow I've got a new test and see if my normal 2.1thick wheels instead of my very small slicks would provide any improvement on the 'mud-spray-issue' so that i don't have to change pads every couple of weeks.
    I'll keep y'all updated.

Tom