mtbr member
    Mar 2005

disc brake conversion?

Hey everybody,

I am considering upgrading to disc brakes on my HT and came across a conversion kit that allows you to run disc brakes on the rear of a frame that did not come with disc brakes. Does anybody know anything about these, or had any experience with them?

http://www.woodmancomponents.com/pro...scosystem.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AUStumpJumper
    Hey everybody,

I am considering upgrading to disc brakes on my HT and came across a conversion kit that allows you to run disc brakes on the rear of a frame that did not come with disc brakes. Does anybody know anything about these, or had any experience with them?

http://www.woodmancomponents.com/pro...scosystem.html
    Depends how much it costs. If it is $300 (picking a number out of my head) is your existing frame worth investing that much into, or should you possibly consider upgrading the entire bike? Also it appears that not all disc hubs will work with that particular system, so you should investigate which hubs are going to be compatible as well.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Also will your frame be able to take the stress when it wasn't designed to in the first place?

Authority is dead!
    wonna bet this one will be cheaper?
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    wonna bet this one will be cheaper?

Actually I like the way that system looks better than the ones that I posted links to. I'm still considering the idea of rear disc brakes but the more I think about it the more I lean towards only upgrading the front, and leaving the rear. I think as long as the adapter bracket is designed properly any, frame should be able to withstand the extra loading.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I ran the Brake Therapy setup for 2 years on a Ti hardtail, worked great. It's similiar to the one you posted but I think they were the first to do it, the adapter kit was $150. The only concern with the setup I ran was the force applied on the brake boss, instead of a side to side force the boss was designed for, the adapter rod applied forward pressure on the boss, but it turned out to be a non-issue. I say go for it, the rear discs will make a big difference in control and the adapter kit fit most of the popular hubs-Hugi, DT, CK

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I ran the Brake Therapy setup for 2 years on a Ti hardtail, worked great. It's similiar to the one you posted but I think they were the first to do it, the adapter kit was $150. The only concern with the setup I ran was the force applied on the brake boss, instead of a side to side force the boss was designed for, the adapter rod applied forward pressure on the boss, but it turned out to be a non-issue. I say go for it, the rear discs will make a big difference in control and the adapter kit fit most of the popular hubs-Hugi, DT, CK

for the input, I'm going to start looking at new wheelsets to run discs

Authority is dead!
    dunno exactly what are you looking for, but Pricepoint.com always has some deals on Deore/RhynoLite combos and some others. Just a hint.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by AUStumpJumper
    for the input, I'm going to start looking at new wheelsets to run discs
    Yeah... Just do it... go for it... get the wheels, get the discs, don't be left behind.