mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Disc brake conversion

Hello every one, im new to this forum and mountain biking in general. Im very active on automotive based web forums. So, im pretty familar with all the ways to obtain the information i need with the search features. But of course all question cant always be answerd.

Heres my deal, i have a 2002 Mongoose Pro Zero-G that my father never used, so he gave it to me over the summer. I went riding a bunch of times with my girlfriend and noticed one of my weaknesses i could notice right off the bat with the bike is the braking. so i decided to convert to disc brakes. My questions aer..

The front fork has mounting tabs on the one side but i dont know where i would mount for the rear caliper would be?

What would i mount the calipers to on my non-disc brake wheels? Would i have to buy wheels that have disc brakes already on them?

Ive also seen all kinds of adapter brackets and i wouldnt have the slightest idea which ones would work for me. If any one could help me out, id greatly appreciate it.

if it helps im looking to buy the shimano LX series brake kit from here.. http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...ke-Brakes.html

thanks

Eric

Former Bike Wrench
    Please don't take this the wrong way, its not meant to be offensive

The Mongoose Pro Zero G is a low-end department store bike that would require you to invest far more than the $300 the bike cost brand new to retro fit it to disc brakes. Save your money for a quality bike with disc brakes and just ride the crap out of this one till it dies (which probably will not be long if you get serious about riding)

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well, i know that it isnt a high end fancy deal. Or that the brakes are gonna cost me more that what the bike retails for new. But its practically brand new and i could care less if i have to spend 300 bucks for brakes. Im not concernd about money at all.

Even if i need new wheels, thats ok, I planned on buying smaller wheels anyways because its a 26" and im 5'10".. I cant even flat foot the bike with the rear shock all the way soft. I really dont plan on getting rid of this bike or buying a new one so if any one could, please help me out.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Put it this way- if you are beginning to feel the MTB bug bite you.....ditch that dept. store mountain bike replica/toy, and invest your next $500 on a brand-new, bike shop(LBS) ride. There are many people on Craigslist who will give you $75 for that low-end Mongoose. Offset your investment, and sell the hand-me-down "bike." Words simply cannot describe the sheer difference in quality, between the two types of bikes. In today's economy- you can get a new Specialized Hard Rock Disc Comp, for under $600.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Go to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and test drive a $500-$600 bike and feel the difference...then decide if it's worth the investment...

wyrd bi ful rd
    you will need tabs like these on the frame to mount a rear disc brake

20080812 am frame 05 MTBR FORUM.jpg

barring that, there are adaptors out there that you can use to mount your caliper for the rear.

For the front as you have mentioned, you have the tabs to mount a front caliper.

Then you will need to get wheels with hubs which are disc specific. Current so called standard available are the 6 bolt mounting or the shimano centre lock system.

BTW a FS bike will usually be higher when you are sitting down as chainring clearance will be required at full compression for the rear shock.

Best to get a new frame.

Try to do a bit of servicing on your pads and contact point for your rim brakes. Rim brakes, if adjusted properly are very good.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinestar03
    Well, i know that it isnt a high end fancy deal. Or that the brakes are gonna cost me more that what the bike retails for new. But its practically brand new and i could care less if i have to spend 300 bucks for brakes. Im not concernd about money at all.

Even if i need new wheels, thats ok, I planned on buying smaller wheels anyways because its a 26" and im 5'10".. I cant even flat foot the bike with the rear shock all the way soft. I really dont plan on getting rid of this bike or buying a new one so if any one could, please help me out.
    Shop eBay for disc-specific wheelsets, rear disc brake adapters, and Avid BB7(the BEST) brakesets. Be prepared to spend WELL OVER $300 for all this stuff. The good thing is that the new wheels and brakes are easily transferred to another bike, because they will easily outlast the entire bike- which will SOON fall apart around these components, once you start riding seriously.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thatnks for all the helpful information! I think im gonna listen to you guys and purchase a new bike once mine is beat. Anyways i already bought stuff to tune my car. so this would have had to wait for a while.

thanks!!

eric