mtbr member

Disc brake bed-in question

So I just installed my first set of disc brakes last night. The braking isn't super strong, and I understand that it will take some time to bed-in and reach full strength. Magura recommends something like 30 stops from 30kph to bed the pads.

My question is, do I need to go out and bed the pads in as recommended before my first ride, or can I just go out and ride? If I just go out and ride will it just take longer for the pads to bed in, or can the bed-in procedure be screwed up beyond the point of recovery?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by sdneal
    So I just installed my first set of disc brakes last night. The braking isn't super strong, and I understand that it will take some time to bed-in and reach full strength. Magura recommends something like 30 stops from 30kph to bed the pads.

My question is, do I need to go out and bed the pads in as recommended before my first ride, or can I just go out and ride? If I just go out and ride will it just take longer for the pads to bed in, or can the bed-in procedure be screwed up beyond the point of recovery?

Do either. Go out on a special "bedding" ride or use a normal ride. What do you do if you get a new car or new brake pads on the old car? You just drive, right? Just don't expect (or need) full braking power right away.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.