mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Disc Brake Adjustment

I have some no name mechanical dis brakes on my bike and they are making me every day.
    It seems like I can adjust them perfectly (by moving the caliper position), then after ten minutes on my bike they are way off again. Also should I have to readjust my front caliper position everytime I take the front wheel on and off?

Is this just due to crappy brakes?
    Would upgrading help me?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynnster
    I have some no name mechanical dis brakes on my bike and they are making me every day.
    It seems like I can adjust them perfectly (by moving the caliper position), then after ten minutes on my bike they are way off again. Also should I have to readjust my front caliper position everytime I take the front wheel on and off?

Would upgrading help me?
    It might help to know what kind of brakes we are talking about. Most mechanical brakes have some sort of adjustment beside the caliper positioning ie. an inboard or outboard pad adjuster. Removing the wheel can cause a slight adjustment issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynnster

Would upgrading help me?
    It might help to know what kind of brakes we are talking about. Most mechanical brakes have some sort of adjustment beside the caliper positioning ie. an inboard or outboard pad adjuster. Removing the wheel can cause a slight adjustment issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Honestly there are no markings on them, and there is a pad adjuster that I also use it just seems weird that I need to adjust them so oftne.

I like mud
    Pictures would help.

You shouldn't have to re-adjust them every time you take a wheel off. They should stay where you put them. But if you are adjusting the pads only, that is a different story. I have not see that before.
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I got some pictures of the brakes, I only wonder about taking the front wheel off because I want to mount it in my jeep that way.