mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Disc brake adapter

I have a 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin that I would like to upgrade to disc brakes. Wondering if it can be done and what will I need. It looks like the fork (Manitou Six) is ready to go but the frame needs an adapter, I think. Anyway, if anyone else has went down this road I would really appreciate some input. Also, open for suggestions/recommendations on new disc brakes.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Underskilled
    Those brake mounts are such a pain to use, sure it adds a disk brake, but it will never be aligned correctly.

You can pick up a new cheap HT frame for less that the BT mount, it will have none of the issues.

Most of your components will swap over.

So could be cheaper and better to buy a new frame and swap your stuff over.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the info guys. The OEM adapter is exactly what I was looking for. Now for the brakes........

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I picked up one of those "disco" brake adapters on ebay for my 04 Tass, worked great, no alignment problems. Good luck

mtbr member
    I have a disc-o adapter for sale in classifieds under Disc Brakes....
    Last edited by Maui323; 03-30-2010 at 07:37 AM.

MarkyMark
    I've been thinking about this for a while on my HT. I decided on putting a disc brake (Avid Elixir CR) up front and leaving the rim back on the back. The front is where you need the stopping power. The Elixir CRs have great modulation, but power is lacking. I think it my brake that needs a bleed because I tried someone else's bike w/ Elixir CRs and I nearly endo'd.

I just put a set of Hope X2s on my FS. I've only gone out for 1 ride, but I'm really liking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Propdoc
    I have a 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin that I would like to upgrade to disc brakes. Wondering if it can be done and what will I need. It looks like the fork (Manitou Six) is ready to go but the frame needs an adapter, I think. Anyway, if anyone else has went down this road I would really appreciate some input. Also, open for suggestions/recommendations on new disc brakes.