Thread: Disc Brake

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Disc Brake

I have a Cannondale F9 and and want to install a disk brake. If I can only do one at the moment, which is best, front or rear?

Thanks

Biking Like Crazy!
    I'd say defiantly set-up the rear as a disk brake first. I am asumming you will have a V brake up front also, right? That way the more powerful rear disk brake will be more equal to the front V brakes stopping power.
    The front brake usually supplies about 70% more stopping power with all things being equal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydrawers
    I have a Cannondale F9 and and want to install a disk brake. If I can only do one at the moment, which is best, front or rear?

Thanks
    I would actually suggest doing the front because that's where most of your braking power is due to weight distribution when decelerating. Also if you look back to when disc brakes started hitting it big, many bikes were available with one disc and one v-brake. The front was always the disc and the rear was the v.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman
    I'd say defiantly set-up the rear as a disk brake first. I am asumming you will have a V brake up front also, right? That way the more powerful rear disk brake will be more equal to the front V brakes stopping power.
    The front brake usually supplies about 70% more stopping power with all things being equal.
    for that reason I would set up the front disk, the rear V would be fine for the minimal amount of braking required. Setting up the rear first woud probably result in alot of skidding, etc. and one of the main reasons to go disk is better wet braking, so in wet conditions you would end up with no front brake

mtbr member
    + rear

The rear then you can do great skids. Not as good as the cool kids on fixies but good skids never the less.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    + rear

The rear then you can do great skids. Not as good as the cool kids on fixies but good skids never the less.
    hopefully you're kidding
    skidding on the trails is the sign of of an out of control newbie idiot

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr
    I would actually suggest doing the front because that's whereof your most braking power is due to weight distribution when decelerating. Also if you look back to when disc brakes started hitting it big, many bikes were available with one disc and one v-brake. The front was always the disc and the rear was the v.
    I was only thinking doing the disc in the rear first because the front brake does give more braking ability (because of said weight distribution) and a front disc only set-up might cause front tire lock-up and a potential endo when confronted with a sudden "panic" stop situation. I also like to use my rear brake alittle more than the front brake especially in very loose conditions.

As to your point about front discs and rear V brakes on the early bikes, I think most early bike frames didnt have a disc ready frame, whereas the early forks were more likely to have both disc and V mount capabilities.

As to there OP.....Where's your other disc brake!!! LOL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    hopefully you're kidding
    skidding on the trails is the sign of of an out of control newbie idiot
    Drift-on-a-Bicycle
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

Biking Like Crazy!

BFF"s

You guys should get a room!
    LOL!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    You guys should get a room!
    LOL!

no way
    he leaves skid marks everywhere

mtbr member
    5224 posts. I would have thought you knew better than to feed trolls

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you only have money for one....Front, you'll only do an endo the first few times :-)

Meh.
    Definitely do the front first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Do both simultaneously. When you're riding in areas in loose dirt if you brake too much with your front brake the rear end will whip out and you'll be on the ground before you know it. In loose dirt it's important to have brake balance, this would be more of an issue in dry areas with fine dirt.

For pure stopping power however I think the having discs on the front is a better idea. If you have powerful rear disc brakes you'll simply lock up the wheel and keep on going at high speeds, at least on asphalt.

Although there is a risk of going down in loose dirt I think the front disc brake is a better option,especially if you're paying attention with your rear v brakes. You also don't need as much power in the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Really?

Why would you necessarily need your braking to be equal? Since you weight distribution during braking is usually not going to be equal, why give yourself so much power in the back?

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    Really?

Why would you necessarily need your braking to be equal? Since you weight distribution during braking is usually not going to be equal, why give yourself so much power in the back?
    I would defiantely do the disc up front now, looking back at the other posts feedback.
    I was just looking at the OP (only 1 post) as maybe a newbie that might not beable to handle the extra power up front and do an endo in a panic stop.
    I see the light now!

mtbr member
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNC-bALBztc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNC-bALBztc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNC-bALBztc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNC-bALBztc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This the best answer yet for the OP
    You don't need a front brake at all!!

Members who have read this thread: 0