Thread: disc alignment

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

disc alignment

Does any one else have this issue?
    The bits: King iso front hub with Avid 185mm disc juicy caliper with On one carbon fork
    The issue:
    disc very close to flattened (relieved) machined fork drop out it actually measures 0.020" yes 20 thou (with feeler gauges), as it is close to where the disc is bolted to hub I have no problem with this touching as strongest/stiffest part of hub. the outside of the disc though is forced against the brake pad (outside one). My fix so far is to remove 1mm of the outside face of avid caliper mounting bracket to move the caliper away from the disc. This has worked to a point, however, now the conical adjustment washers (previously adjusted out) touch the disc.
    Has anyone had this type of problem and is there a way out besides changing the fork?
    Your comments will be appreciated

Thanks
    Incognito

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by incognito
    Does any one else have this issue?
    The bits: King iso front hub with Avid 185mm disc juicy caliper with On one carbon fork
    The issue:
    disc very close to flattened (relieved) machined fork drop out it actually measures 0.020" yes 20 thou (with feeler gauges), as it is close to where the disc is bolted to hub I have no problem with this touching as strongest/stiffest part of hub. the outside of the disc though is forced against the brake pad (outside one). My fix so far is to remove 1mm of the outside face of avid caliper mounting bracket to move the caliper away from the disc. This has worked to a point, however, now the conical adjustment washers (previously adjusted out) touch the disc.
    Has anyone had this type of problem and is there a way out besides changing the fork?
    Your comments will be appreciated

Thanks
    Incognito
    Yup. I relieved the mounting holes on the caliper to I could slide the caliper. Also ended up dremmeling off the inside of the adjustment washers where they contacted the rotor. Only one set of the washers actually contacted the rotor, so it wasn't a huge project. I think I also removed the threads from the mounting bolt where it went through the caliper and washers so I could slide the caliper even further. My setup was/is King ISO, Juicy 185, and Reba (early version).
    Good luck.
    -jon

mtbr member
    Wow, not even close to being a 29er forum topic. Moving this into the Brake Forum where people discuss Brakes....imagine that.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

... and if we just ... feedback

Thanks vecsus for your positive input why bother if you have nothing better to do than send pathetic sarcastic responses. Thi is after all a public forum where people are genuinely seeking advice or sharing experiences.
    No doubt this will inspire some feedback....we can only hope

From someone that just likes to ride his bike
    Incognito