mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Disc adapters for older rigid frame

I'd like to upgrade a mid-90s Trek rigid to disc brakes in the rear. (I have a disc-compatible fork to take care of the front). After doing a search and some leisurely reading, it sounds as though there are two current options for rear discs on an older frame.

One is the Brake Therapy and the second is the A2Z brake adapter plate. The A2Z appears a little cleaner, but I was wondering if anyone had any input on either unit, and how they've performed. Was frame flex an issue, hub mods, or other details I'm not seeing right now (?)

The Trek chain and seatstays are smaller in diameter (by current mountainbike standards), but I will be using the bike as an urban commuter, so no prolonged descents, or bumpy technicals. Also, I'd more than likely be using a 160 or 140mm rear disc, as I favor my front anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Former Bike Wrench
    Is it a steel or aluminum frame. If its steel, you could have disc tabs welded on to your frame by most competent frame builders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm pretty sure it's got aluminum stays. It's the 8300 with composite main tubes (a 1993 bike). It's listed toward the bottom of this page for frame material construction:

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/trek_specs.htm

http://www.airfreetires.com/Specs/St...8300&Year=1993

Thanks for any input. My guess is that the A2Z will work, but I wanted to run it past you guys.

Former Bike Wrench
    Yea, its got aluminum stays...very familiar with these older frames.

Good luck with the adapters and let us know how it goes