lvm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Differences in Hayes Front vs. Rear?

Is there a difference in the actual calipers to be used on the front and rear? I'm building a GIANT NRS and took an original model hydraulic Hayes off the front of my other bike to put on the rear (disc only). However, it seems that it doesn't line up properly. The frame mount would have to be about 1/2" forward for the caliper to line up on the rotor properly. I thought the only difference in the sets they sell was cable length, and also that this model doesn't have reversible levers/master cylinders.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by lvm
    Is there a difference in the actual calipers to be used on the front and rear? I'm building a GIANT NRS and took an original model hydraulic Hayes off the front of my other bike to put on the rear (disc only). However, it seems that it doesn't line up properly. The frame mount would have to be about 1/2" forward for the caliper to line up on the rotor properly. I thought the only difference in the sets they sell was cable length, and also that this model doesn't have reversible levers/master cylinders.
    The adapters are different, calipers are the same. Are you trying to move the adapter to the rear with the caliper? It won't work if you are.

Monte

lvm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    okay, cool. yes, i was using the same adapter. that's much cheaper than buying an entire new brake.

thanks.

lvm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

update

well, i got the adapter, but i hit one snag. i'm using one of the older, original hayes disc brakes and apparently it's 68 or 70mm between holes in the mount. since the brake is fairly old i decided to drill it out to fit the 74mm adapter. so far so good.