mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Difference in Shimano XT (M765), XT (M775) and SLX (M665)

Having a bit of a brake dilemma...

I currently have a set of XT (M765) and found that braking power is somewhat there, but squeaks like hell when stopping at high speeds. Was thinking of switching pads (I think it has sintered now) to a resin one and rebleed to renew the feel of it.

Instead of switching, also thinking of switching to the XT (M775), mainly for the servo wave. However I don't justify this upgrade worth it as the calipers are the same (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

On the other hand, I've only read great reviews about the SLX (M665) especially when they have similar XT lever features and supposedly same braking power as XTs. The price point is really what got me. The two-piece caliper design does bother me a bit, but what do you guys think?

My riding type would mostly be fast and flowy trails.

T.W.O.
    The 775 is a more powerful brake than 765 even the SLX is more powerful. It's a much nicer brake than 765 for sure so it would be a nice upgrade. The 765 have less power that's why people often praised about the modulation, you can still find plenty of modulation on the 775 with added power. I'm not a big fan of servo wave but that's just me.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I upgraded a set of 765 brakes with the 775 levers (back when the 775s came out) and they work great.

I also have a set of 775s on another bike and really don't notice any performance difference.

Perhaps upgrading the levers can be more cost effective? I guess it depends on what deals you find

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    And of course you can also put SLX levers on the 765 calipers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the input everyone.

Seems to me like the XT or Servo-Wave arm is the difference maker rather than the caliper.

I'm keen on getting the SLX for saving up the cash, but what do you guys think of the two-piece caliper design rather than the XT's one-piece?

T.W.O.
    That's the cool thing about Shimano levers and calipers they are compatible across the board.

mtbr member
    So does most of the extra "power" come form the difference in calipers or levers? ie, is the 765 caliper with 775 levers as powerfull as a full 775 set? Is is closer than a full 765 set vs a 775 set?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm going to confirm that you will get more power as well a better modulation (feel and ergonomics) with the 775 levers.

I bought a 765 set and 775 set afterwards and the difference is very significant (better, more powerful)

When they say 20-25% more power because of servowave lever, they really mean it.

Rub it............
    The 665's and 775's are pretty close when it comes to power due to the Servo Wave. The XT 765's do not have the Servo Wave technology, so power is lower.

The biggest difference is finish and weight between the 665's and the 775's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdhar
    When they say 20-25% more power because of servowave lever, they really mean it.
    So here you say from the lever...so does that mean servowave levers add the power? As in if I use 775 levers with 765 calipers the setup will be close to the power of a full 775 setup?

Coloradian
    Jun 2006
    Sure would be interesting to know the piston diameters for the various models, and any functional differences in the internal parts. The 775 caliper appears to be all new in comparison to the 765. I had the lever off a Servo Wave unit, and it just has a set of ramps that change the mechanical advantage on the lever itself. In other words, there is nothing unusual happening in the hydraulic part.
    29ers are just a fad, like disc brakes, suspension, indexed shifting and mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I upgraded a set of 765 brakes with the 775 levers (back when the 775s came out) and they work great.

I also have a set of 775s on another bike and really don't notice any performance difference.

Perhaps upgrading the levers can be more cost effective? I guess it depends on what deals you find
    I guess this sort of answers my question. So you don't see much difference in power b/w the setup with 765 calipers/775 levers and the full 775 setup? Maybe I'll just spring for some SLX levers to go with the 765 calipers I have then. Looks like SLX levers are around 90 shipped on ebay (new) and the SLX levers/caliper/hose combo is about 185 shipped. So I guess my question is whether the SLX rotors are worth another $95 when I have some 765 calipers already. I guess I need to add $30 or so for hoses too.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16
    I guess this sort of answers my question. So you don't see much difference in power b/w the setup with 765 calipers/775 levers and the full 775 setup?
    Correct.... I have never done a back to back comparison on the same trail, at the same time, etc.... but from what i percieve, they feel the same.

The piston size didn't change from 765 to 775, so it shouldn't be surprising that they feel similar too

mtbr member
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear!

mtbr member
    Sorry but I'm having trouble finding what the right replacement pads are for the SLX brakes. What other brakes in Shimano's line use the same pads? I'm looking for some good non-resin, non-ceramic pads. What have people been happy with?