mtbr member

Difference between resin, metallic pads?

I have a set of 04 XT hydro's and am looking at new pads.. what are the differences, advantages and disadvantages of resin vs metallic vs semi-metallic, etc

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I will give you my first hand feeling about them, but I am new to disc brakes. I have burned through one set of resin pads and one set of metallic pads. I have Shimano XT brakes. The resin pads are a little softer material. They are quiet and have great modulation. They also disappeared after two months of riding. I then put in the metallics. Both sets were Shimano replacement pads. The metallics make an awful scraping kind of sound at the very best and squeal something awful at their worst. People talk about the metallics offering more braking power and this may be, but it all comes on at the very end of the pull. There is very little modulation and then tons of grip. I am still searching for a better pad. Something right between these two would be nice. I am trying to order a set of Galfer pads to try out, but the place that sells them knows nothing about them and I am waiting for them to call me back. Some people have recomended putting a resin pad on one side and a metallic pad on the other. I don't see where this would be a big help. The wear quality of the pad will still be the same. If you are lighter (I am 220lbs.) and ride flatter stuff so wear isn't as much of an issue I really liked the resin pads better. I am just using them up way too fast.

hope this helps,
    Craig
    the Gorge

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=spaeth] The resin pads are a little softer material. They are quiet and have great modulation. They also disappeared after two months of riding. I then put in the metallics. Both sets were Shimano replacement pads. The metallics make an awful scraping kind of sound at the very best and squeal something awful at their worst.
    QUOTE]

I was previously using Shimano Deore M525 hydraulic disc on my old hardtail and the resin pads wore off in one Sunday off road ride where it was raining and muddy! But the postive side is that resin pads have great bite, no scraping noise.

I'm now using Shimano Deore M555 hydraulic disc on my Stumpy and the metallic pads have this scraping noise too. But they last much better than the resin pads. My Stumpy is now about 3 months old and have about 1100 kms on them and the metallic pads are still ok! Admittedly, the Stumpy has not been on any hardcore off road tracks where it is muddy and hilly due to time constraints. Most of my Stumpy's mileage has been on asphalt roads.

But in the meantime I'll stick with metallic pads until there is an alternative replacement between resin and metallic pads. Can't afford to change disc brake pads that often!