XTR is the shizz-nizz...

Difference between IS and Post mount calipers/adapters??

What is the difference between IS and Post mounted calipers/adapters?
    I have a set of Juicy Carbons that came with 203mm rotors and I'd like to swap them out for 160mm and 180mm... But I don't know what kind of adapter I need...
    Does anyone know what I need to mount my new juicy carbon calipers with a 160mm or 180mm rotor...?
    This is a picture of my current caliper setup.

Thanks!!

Meh.
    You current set up is a post mount caliper with IS adapter. The Juicy is also a post mount caliper with IS adapter. You SHOULD be able to use those adapters. However, sometimes the caliper bottoms on the adapter or the pad tab hits the adapter. Don't forget to use the CPS washers when you bolt it up to the adapter.

Looks like an inexpensive bike. Juicy Carbons probably would not have been the first upgrade I'd put on it.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    in addition to Will post, check the Brake FAQ in the top right, in the general section it has pics and an explanation of both

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You current set up is a post mount caliper with IS adapter. The Juicy is also a post mount caliper with IS adapter. You SHOULD be able to use those adapters. However, sometimes the caliper bottoms on the adapter or the pad tab hits the adapter. Don't forget to use the CPS washers when you bolt it up to the adapter.

Looks like an inexpensive bike. Juicy Carbons probably would not have been the first upgrade I'd put on it.
    Well, inexpensive is a relative term... At the time (2004) I paid $500 for this bike which was expensive for me. Its a 2004 Raleigh Ram 2.0. Its equipped with full deore drive train, Mavic wheels, etc... It was a great starter bike. I am upgrading all the drive train to XTR (dérailleurs, crank, cassette, chain), stem, carbon handlebar, headset, carbon seat post, brakes, wheels, etc...fork as soon as I could find a good deal. The frame is a little on the heavy side...but I'm planning to upgrade that too in the near future... I mostly do trail riding anyways, not much out here in Florida...

**Can you use any adapter with the juicy carbons or do you have to use Avid brand adapters?

Thanks again!!

Here is a pic of my el-chipo bike...

Meh.
    As I said before. You SHOULD be able to use any adapter. Because they all have the same basic purpose. However, sometimes the caliper bottoms on the adapter or the pad tabs hit the adapter.

neutiquam erro
    Upgrading as you need to (or can afford to!) is the best way to go.

For the stuff you mentioned, don't exclude SRAM x-9 from your drivetrain considerations. X.9 is extremely good stuff this year, and the price is right for the quality you get. Just another option.

Also, are you sure you want to go carbon for your handlebar and seatpost? I have a carbon seatpost that came with my bike, and I don't have any need to replace it, but I wouldn't buy another one. Carbon is light and strong, but must be very carefully watched - it doesn't handle crashes well for the most part.

A seatpost is one thing, but I'd recommend that you not get a carbon bar - just my opinion. For one thing, you can't use bar ends on many (most, I'd say) carbon bars, and you'd better own & use a torque wrench when you put on your shifters, brakes, and clamp down your stem, or you are asking for trouble.

Don't be in any huge hurry to upgrade, and end up buying stuff (that while it may be very nice) you don't actually end up liking. Take your time and research carefully.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Thanks again Chris!!

I wanted to buy a new bike, but I'm following the advice of a MTB racer I work with...upgrade here and there, as I go...
    I did buy a carbon handle bar (Truvativ Team Carbon). I'm a little worried about jumping and dropping off small ledges (regular XC stuff) and putting load on the carbon bar...but I also assume that it was designed for that use... I'm still a beginner rider, so I won't be trying any hardcore stuff... I'm a very cautious and leary rider... Hoping to get daring some day though...

So far in my pile of upgrade parts I have at home ready to be installed are:
    -Cane Creek Solo headset
    -Thomson X4 Stem
    -Truvativ Team Carbon Handle Bar
    -Cane Creek dual compound grips
    -XTR rapid fires M970
    -Juicy Carbons
    -XTR FD M970
    -XTR RD M970
    -Titus Carbon Seat Post
    -Jagwire Ripcords (cable and housings)

I want the XTR crank M970, XTR chain, new wheels, and definitely new fork...

Sorry I deviated from my subject... So I can use my current adapters with my Carbons... Should I be concerned with the weight of these stock adapters?
    I'd like to increase the size of my front rotors to 7"/180mm... Maybe I'll just keep the 6" for now and save some cash...

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by FL_MTB_Weekend Warrior
    Thanks again Chris!!

I wanted to buy a new bike, but I'm following the advice of a MTB racer I work with...upgrade here and there, as I go...
    I did buy a carbon handle bar (Truvativ Team Carbon). I'm a little worried about jumping and dropping off small ledges (regular XC stuff) and putting load on the carbon bar...but I also assume that it was designed for that use... I'm still a beginner rider, so I won't be trying any hardcore stuff... I'm a very cautious and leary rider... Hoping to get daring some day though...

So far in my pile of upgrade parts I have at home ready to be installed are:
    -Cane Creek Solo headset
    -Thomson X4 Stem
    -Truvativ Team Carbon Handle Bar
    -Cane Creek dual compound grips
    -XTR rapid fires M970
    -Juicy Carbons
    -XTR FD M970
    -XTR RD M970
    -Titus Carbon Seat Post
    -Jagwire Ripcords (cable and housings)

I want the XTR crank M970, XTR chain, new wheels, and definitely new fork...

Sorry I deviated from my subject... So I can use my current adapters with my Carbons... Should I be concerned with the weight of these stock adapters?
    I'd like to increase the size of my front rotors to 7"/180mm... Maybe I'll just keep the 6" for now and save some cash...
    Just so we're clear... read what I said about the adapters a couple more times...

I think the weight of the adapters is one of the less important things to consider when you look at the rest of the build.

IIRC, the stem that comes stock with that bike is a 4-bolt stem. DO NOT use that stem with the carbon bars. It creates stress risers. Only use 4-bolts that flare out (spreads the force over a greater surface area), or 2-bolt stems. That stem and seatpost are HEAVY. Brake/shifter clamps have to be torqued very carefully with carbon bars.

I'm assuming that you made sure the stem and bar clamp diameter are the same, and you got the appropriate seatpost diameter.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Yes, I matched the handle bar diameter (31.8) and stem (31.8) along with the seat post(27.2)...

Are you saying that 4 bolt stems are not compatible with carbon bars? The Thomson stem I have is a 4 bolt pattern...you are saying I can't use it with my carbon bar...?

Are you telling me that the Thomson Elite X4 and the Truvativ Team Carbon handle bar can not be used together...?

Current setup:

Upgrade setup:

Are you telling me that the Thomson Elite X4 and the Truvativ Team Carbon handle bar can not be used together...?

neutiquam erro
    Those bars actually should work fine with the X4 stem. But did you know that or just get lucky?

Dude, you seem to be sinking a lot of serious $$$ into those across-the-board top-of-the-line upgrades all at once all on a low-end frame (nothing against your Raleigh); I hope you know what you are doing...

Cheers, Chris

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    Those bars actually should work fine with the X4 stem. But did you know that or just get lucky?

Dude, you seem to be sinking a lot of serious $$$ into those across-the-board top-of-the-line upgrades all at once all on a low-end frame (nothing against your Raleigh); I hope you know what you are doing...

Cheers, Chris
    I think I got lucky... I did not know there was an issue with 4 bolt stems and carbon bars.

Thats whats been on my mindly lately. I started a thread on the general discussion forum asking that same question...whether its stupid to be installing these parts on a Raleigh frame... I don't want to look stupid and have XTR and carbon parts on a Wal-mart special...if you know what I mean. The Raleigh frame is nicely put together...though I am planning to upgrade the frame down the line...

You freaked me out with your "I hope you know what you are doing..." line...
    Now I am doubting myself whether I'm doing something wrong...

I think I should have just bought a whole bike instead of trying to piece together the perfect bike...

neutiquam erro
    No, I'm not trying to freak you out - you just seem to be "all mach and no vector" with these upgrades. I just hope you aren't buying all top-end stuff assuming it'll be the greatest thing ever. When I started to learn how to wrench my own stuff, I made a lot of mistakes and went thru a lot of costly (time and $) trial-and-error learning about what stuff I liked and what worked best for me & my bikes. Some was nice, top-end stuff, and lots wasn't. I'm glad I didn't "waste" any high-end stuff when I didn't really know my head from my @ss. Granted, you should be able to transfer a lot of that stuff to a new frame when you get one, but stuff like stem size, whether or not you cut down your nice fork's steerer tube, seatpost size (diameter), etc, etc can all just as easily not work at all on a new frame too. Then you are going to have to buy all that nice bling over again.

Upgrading is all well and good - it teaches you how to wrench and helps you learn about your own preferences, I'm just saying that can be really costly when you first start out, especially when you go after all high-end stuff and haven't really had much experience yet to back up as to why you are doing those upgrades.

Cheers, Chris

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    No, I'm not trying to freak you out - you just seem to be "all mach and no vector" with these upgrades. I just hope you aren't buying all top-end stuff assuming it'll be the greatest thing ever. When I started to learn how to wrench my own stuff, I made a lot of mistakes and went thru a lot of costly (time and $) trial-and-error learning about what stuff I liked and what worked best for me & my bikes. Some was nice, top-end stuff, and lots wasn't. I'm glad I didn't "waste" any high-end stuff when I didn't really know my head from my @ss. Granted, you should be able to transfer a lot of that stuff to a new frame when you get one, but stuff like stem size, whether or not you cut down your nice fork's steerer tube, seatpost size (diameter), etc, etc can all just as easily not work at all on a new frame too. Then you are going to have to buy all that nice bling over again.

Upgrading is all well and good - it teaches you how to wrench and helps you learn about your own preferences, I'm just saying that can be really costly when you first start out, especially when you go after all high-end stuff and haven't really had much experience yet to back up as to why you are doing those upgrades.

Cheers, Chris
    So are so right!! I have modified cars for years and thats exactly what I tell friends that want to customize their cars for high-performance; there are a lot of parts out their and most of them are bogus...you need to research and find what is tested and true...and what works for your car and your style of driving...

Anyway, I totally see your point... I know my carbon seat post won't transfer over to a new frame since most seat posts now are 31.8 or somthing like that...etc... But all the "expensive" will transfer though... Brakes, derailleur, crank, handle bar, etc...
    I'm doing a lot of research before I buy all these parts... I read up all about it, go to the LBS and hold it, smell it, taste it, etc... Even try it out if I can... I'm not buying parts at random here... Just buying parts that will last me a while and provide me with excellent performance and function...

Meh.
    Not true about the seat post size. And if the post is smaller than the seat tube, shims can be used.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    True... But I don't like rigging my setup like that...
    I'm kind of anal when it comes to parts...it has to fit perfectly...
    31.8 ID seat post = 31.8 OD seat tube

Meh.
    You got it wrong. You mean 31.8 OD seat post = 31.8 ID seat tube.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You got it wrong. You mean 31.8 OD seat post = 31.8 ID seat tube.
    Yeah , thats what I meant...