Proud bike-o-holic

Difference between Magura disc brakes

Hello all,

I´ve been reading at Magura´s web page all the information available for their disc brakes, but the page wasn´t very helpful, so I´m still wondering what are the differences between Marta´s, Julie´s, and the other models.
    My bike is a Chumba VF2, which is a trail/XC bike and would like to hear suggestions about what to buy according to my bike, weight (if it is a factor to consider 143 lbs) and trail conditions (all mountain).

Thanks.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Martas = XC
    Louise = XC -> FR
    Julie = XC, low-end brakes

Marta's will prob be fine for you, Louise if you want a little more power.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Marta and Julie are brakes for about same purpose... xc mainly. Main difference is weight. Julie is more or less entry level brake (I had them, and they work really great, especially considering price), while Marta (especially SL version) are racing gear (almost half lighter then Julie). They also work great, and no matter what some people say, I'm not changing them for anything.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    As Err and Primoz have said, the Julie are Magura's entry level brake. The new 09 Julie and the 07 onwards Louise are now using the same caliper. They've got some good reviews and they're cheap. You can in time, if you want, get Louise brake levers and convert your Julie to Louise.
    The 09 Marta range along with the 09 Julie and 07-present Louise are all now using the same brake pads (which were originally on the Louise).
    I recently got a set of Louise with SL rotors for my Rocky Mountain SXC and so far they are excellent.

If you're a weight weenie then the Marta range is the one for you. If you're on a budget then the Julie is your choice and if you want something a bit more powerful the Louise is the way to go. Your weight won't be an issue, anyone of them should work just fine.

"El Whatever"
    Magura's page has (different from any other manufacturer) the info on piston and master cylinder diameter and braking power according to some DIN standard... a quick view and you'll know which one is more powerful... the weight of the brake, intended use and main characteristics are also displayed.

Go to the international web page...
    Check my Site

Proud bike-o-holic
    Ok, so I think Marta´s the way to go for me.
    Does Martas comes in red?
    Thanks!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Marco
    Ok, so I think Marta´s the way to go for me.
    Does Martas comes in red?
    Thanks!
    Hard to say for this year, but I think they do.
    Check my Site

Proud bike-o-holic
    Ok, so the Marta SL in competitive cyclist costs 290 bucks... for a pair or a single unit?
    thanks.

"El Whatever"
    Ok, so the Marta SL in competitive cyclist costs 290 bucks... for a pair or a single unit?
    thanks.
    That's per unit... for one wheel.

Call or e-mail Chad at redbarnbicycles.com and see what he can come up to... Don't shoot without asking him first.

That or the Louise. They're really good. You don't hear much about them because they have no bling or the best in performance on any particular point.

However, it's their reliability and overall performance that set them apart. They're not heavy, nor light. Not the most powerful, but no weak at all. The feel is gorgeous with a nice progressive grab that lets you brake where others skid. They're silent, light on maintenance if any.

I've had mine for two years now and I'm positive that I need a bleed on one... but I haven't had to open them before. Not bad..
    Check my Site

Proud bike-o-holic
    Wow, so that´s expensive!
    Ok, I´ll talk to Chad and see what he can do for me.
    Thanks

Proud bike-o-holic
    Hello guys,

I have one question, does 290 bucks includes the levers or should I get them apart?

Thanks

"El Whatever"
    Hello guys,

I have one question, does 290 bucks includes the levers or should I get them apart?

Thanks
    Magura are sold as complete units... levers, calipers, lines... all bled and with fittings to cut the lines to size.
    Check my Site

Proud bike-o-holic
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Magura are sold as complete units... levers, calipers, lines... all bled and with fittings to cut the lines to size.
    I thought so, but the LBS in here is probably confused as he wants to charge me 638 bucks for each set (because the caliper costs 290, plus the levers, plus rotors, etc).

mtbr member
    $638!!! Sheesh, shop around and pass on that "deal"!
    Click That Sh*t

Proud bike-o-holic
    Quote Originally Posted by msiddens
    $638!!! Sheesh, shop around and pass on that "deal"!
    of course! I won´t buy in there!.