mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Did you know that big rotors get in the way?

Iíd like to complain about brake rub.

I have some Avid CRs. I have 185 front and rear. They rub. I adjust and bleed. They donít rub in the shop. They donít rub in the garage. I do a good downhill (West Ridge in Redwood Park, Oakland, CA), I still got rub. Maybe I have fade and heating up and frame flex and whatever else. So, bleed, adjust, lather, rinse, repeat. Still rubbing. I give up. I ask you guys about these brakes and those brakes. You are all very helpful, and I thank you. I settle on Formula RXs. Then a set of XTR brakes show up on eBay for $225 (no rotor). Heck, I figure, how wrong can you go with XTR? Everything else I have thatís XTR works like itís supposed to.

So I get the brakes today. Hurray! I canít put them on yet because I donít have any rotors. (Note that Avid sells 185 rotors and Shimano sells 180 rotors.) Iím reading about my new brakes, deciding between 160 and 180 or a combination. And look here what Shimano says:

ďNote
    The 203 mm and 180 mm rotors have a larger diameter than the 160 mm and
    140 mm rotors for cross-country bicycles, and so the flexing of these rotors is
    greater. AS A RESULT, THEY WILL INTERFERE WITH THE BRAKE PADS.Ē (emphasis added).

How about that? A manufacturer is telling it to me straight. Big rotors get in the way. Who knew?

New dilemma: do I spend the money on 160s for the Avids or the Shimanos?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Shimano is right, larger rotors are much more prone to rubbing. I find shimano pads sit further away from the rotor than avids, making it easier to center them, and means less rubbing on the trails.

mtbr member
    I run a 185mm BB7 in the front, at first they were rubbing. Turns out my brake mount is a little crooked, added a shim each and set the pad adjusters, no more rubbing, unless there is wet dirt on the rotors.... *SCRATCHHHHH*
    Setup is key to disc brakes.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Avid brakes will rub; just the way it is. My XTRs on my Superlight do not rub, though they are 140 and 160mm rotors. The pad clearance on my XTR brakes is considerable, however, so if your rotor (180+) is straight, I would imagine it shouldn't be too hard to keep them from rubbing.

~Disc~Golf~
    brakes are for pansies
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Big rotors will always have a little bit of rubby rubby. Even if you true them up and get things perfect so they aren't... a little heat and excitement and they are back to rubbing LOL. At least Shimano warns you.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    My hayes rubbed like crazy. I have 180 front and rear.

Switched to Shimano XT's they don't rub at all. The front one does a little when cornering hard I guess its flexing, I can hear it but can't feel it.